• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Support your local bait stores

Iambjm

With all the sad economic news, I implore all fishing enthusiasts to support your local bait shops. I know I don't want to be reduced to buying my bait from gas stations. I usually go to a local store and not only get great service, but the bait quality is far superior to the local gas/convenience/bait store. So with that said after my Doc appointment today I am headed straight to Ben's for some much needed bait. Might even spring for some new lures or gadgets. Heck maybe even a Jason Mitchell rod!

yeah, I like to hit the local bait stores whenever possible. I actually will drive a bit out of my way to hit Cabin Fever as I always get good service and can usually find everything I need there.

Hit Little Jim's Sports when in the Annandale area. They are always on top of it! The smaller bait shops are always there when we need em' so support them. The big super outfitters will survive nicely...

After looking at how much I spent at Gander last year, I decided that this year I'm buying all my bait and tackle at one of the local stores this year, unless it is something I can't get there. I pay more for tackle and rods, but the quality of bait and quality of help is a lot better from my experience. Maybe I'm making a difference by doing it, maybe I'm not, but I still feel a little better about it.

Great point Barb! Couldn't agree more. Plenty of my $$ goes to the big guys (TB, Joes, SWH, GM, etc). But I to go out of my way to give by business to the smaller shops like Mikes on 8, Frankies, and Blue Ribbon. Great friendly service from these bait shops.

Unfortunately the local bait shops in Center City folded this past season due to the economy.

I've said this before, after seeing the bait stores in Stillwater and Northfield disappear, that we need some help from the legislature to help preserve these icons.

Just like we got protection for gun ranges, we need to provide a tax break or other financial incentive to help these community stores stay competitive with the big box destination retailers.

It doesn't make sense to drive to a destination store and then back to the lake in your town. The big retailers need to see this and ,I bet, wouldn't miss the hassle of the minnow part of their business. Stores like Cabelas do so much for the fishing industry and give back through sponsorship it's a shame to encourage sending business elsewhere, but sometimes that's what it takes. I would like to see the big retailers sponsor community bait stores as a money loosing ventures and in return be given some tax breaks elsewhere.

Some of the new Ammendment funds could be used to help make sure bait stores survive.

I was at Kmart in Northfield yesterday and they put out the new Rapalas for next year at a cost of $9.23 for a number 11 original rap(ouch).

It is imperative for bait fisherman to fight for our right to harvest, buy, and use bait or we will be priced out of one of the few inexpensive family sports left. We can let Adam Smith's invisable hand speak for us by buying at the mom and pop stores or we can be more vocal(which I often choose to do)and write our legislators. Hans

Small business tax is a killer too. It takes a lot of minnows just to get back to even for the month.

On the one hand the tax keeps small illigitamate or undesirable businesses from taking over mainstreet USA(as well as providing revinue for the city), but on the other it hinders small startups from renting many businesses in many townes at just a small profit in each.

Bait stores are unique enough to warrant special treatment and these taxes should be waved in order to make sure each community has this vital service.

I know I'm rambling, but this is a slice of Americana I don't want to see disapear. Hans

I found a local bait shop that sells Clam houses cheaper than any other store or online site. I thought it was pretty sweet to support one of the small guys and even get the product cheaper than anywhere else. I started a thread on here and didn't even advertise the name of the place but the thread was immediately taken off, apparently because they do not support the site.

I stopped at my local shop and was talking to the owner (older fella)about this site and he was very interested but has no computer.He was wondering what it costs to advertise on this site

does anybody know?Your guys are not kidding about owners

sacrificing thier own time for their buisness, I drive by at 7 A.M., lights are on, drive by on my way home around 7 p.m.,

lights are on

Thanks to all the hard working BAIT SHOP OWNERS/WORKERS