• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter square poles won't extend all the way to snap in?!

grousehunter

Question

I bought a used otter cabin recently and put it together inside and it worked just fine. I purchased it in the cities over the holidays and now that I am back in Ely I left it outside last night and today once the house is in really cold weather it does not want to work for me.

The first set of poles extend out no problem, but them the second set will only go out about 3/4 the way and will not move at all past that.

What is the best way to fix this. Should I just get some kind of lubricant or is it something else causing this? Thanks for any suggestions!

Blake

10 answers to this question

Two things to look at, 1 is lubricating, I just use WD-40, I'm, sure there is better options, but it works. The other is if the fabric is bunching up or something like this is not allowing the poll to extend all the way, make sure it is in the seam that it needs to be in, try to unhook the velcro loops and then extend it when it is free to move more.

Yeah, make sure you don't velcro the loops too "tight", they need to allow the poles to slide. I had to loosen mine up a bit, as I fastened them real tight the first time. Good luck, you will enjoy your Cabin, I really like mine.

Went back out and messed around with it some more. I got it to set up now, but will most likely go get some graphite lube for it. It seemed to help a lot if I set it up with the poles facing straight up when extending them. There is no fabric attached to the poles that were binding on me. Thanks for the tips and hopefully the lube will make it a lot easier to set up.

Blake

When I set mine up I extend all of the poles about halfway so I can unfold the entire cover. I start at the front and do the bottom front one last.

If the fabric is very cold than it doesn't like to stretch. If I have one that doesn't want to lock in I will leave it until the heater is on and loosens up the fabric.

I've seen this issue, it can happen when the poles are bent. The poles worked good in a warm garage, but once on the lake they wouldn't extend correctly. This may be the case since you say you bought it "used"? Poles can easily be replaced, and Otter Outdoors can help you with that.

WD40 has always worked for me in a pinch. If that doesn't work try to examine the pole itself to see if it is straight.

Getting lube on the poles will help out tremendously for two reasons. Of coarse to reduce friction. Secondly what happens to aluminum when not lubed and its rubbed together or in this case extended inside one another. It will gouge one pole and that material will stick to the other pole. Now you'll have to bang and pull like crazy to get the poles unstuck and end up bending something.

I would take the poles apart and inspect them for that bonded aluminum residue. Use steel wool to remove it. Also the end of the male pole should be sanded to round it over. Lube with WD-40 and reassemble.