• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions on Portable Ice house

geonicg

I drive a 07 Rav4 and my X-Thermal barely fits in it. It's like trying to put a puzzle together to make it fit in there. Plus there is no room for another person in the truck. So I think a flip over style portable will not work for you, but going with a suitcase style might be better.

I too feel the best bet you have geonicg is the cabin or popup style house. I know my cooker is usually shut off in my house because it heats it up so fast. For heat control it really will depend on how much you let escape. Also the fact that you may not have any ice cover on the floor depending which type house you end up with could play a factor. But I think the cooker will provide adequate heat for you. Good luck and welcome to Fishingminnesota.com come back and tell us what you ended up with and how you do!

For your situation, my vote would be for the Quickflip or Command Post. Maybe even consider the 6 man versions.

With these options, your third guy would not have to sit on the lap of your passenger. grin

This is the option I would do. I would go with the six man version for more comfort. Your heater/cooker would be enough to heat the heck out of that thing. Would take up next to now room in your truck either. One word of advice I would give is if you get one of these take some boards with to put your feet on so they aren't on the ice. As far as moving them, I don't beleive you have to fold to move. They are pretty light. Saw a kid at the ice show pick up the Cammand Post by himself and he was maybe 10.

Any suggestions on Clam or Eskimo? Pros and Cons? Anyone have one to sell... ha:)

I have a suitcase style house lack of use do to weight of it to haul out to a spot, I then upgraded to an Otter Lodge (2-3man) and it is very nice but until I get a utility trailer to haul it with possibly not much use, I picked up a Clam Command Post at the ice show, I looked at the Eskimo as well.

I didn't need the 6 person so went with the 3-4 man size.

I went with the Clam after seeing the pole system very similar but the clam appeared to have a heavy fabric and seemed more durable to me. With it collapsing into a small carrying case and under 40lbs this will be my go to house for sure. Good luck and it's always fun shopping.