• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonneau - Soft or Hard

Man, I'm just full of questions lately about this darn truck! I promise, I'm running out. Honest smile

Let me get some opinions on Tonneau covers. What do you have, and why did you go with either type? I'm undecided right now, and would like some real world reviews.

On the one hand, I like the fiberglass cover because of its security. It helps lock the back tailgate, and overall more effective at keeping your stuff your stuff. They also come, or can be painted to match. However, if you need to haul something tall, off it goes. If you're away from home and need to haul something tall, that doesn't seem reasonable.

On the other, the soft cover seems more practical. Roll it up and you have an instant full bed to do with as you please. Throw in a wheeler, sheet of plywood or anything else that may stick up past the sides. Just seems too easy for someone with a knife to Friday the Thirteenth the heck out of it.

Anyone have any theft issues with either one?

I had an Extang full tilt w/snaps on the old Tundra and liked it enough that I ordered the snapless version for the new Tundra.

Like you said it doesn't have the full security of a hard cover but it comes completely of in 10 seconds, it can be rolled up, and it flips up for easier access like a hard cover.

It should be in tomorrow. I was going to wait until after the holidays but then I remembered how much it sucks not to have one!!!

I have an Access roll-up cover on mine. Ain't likely that somebody is going to slice it open if they don't know what's in there. But it could happen. I really like it vs the toppers I've had on my other trucks.

Hover,

I have an 04 F150 and bought an Access 3 years ago off Craigs List after reading endless responses/reviews from the guys here (being in your shoes)...it's been a great cover...never had an issue with theft, although I make sure to take anything of real value out and stash it in the back seat when needed (provided it fits).

It has never weathered, stretched, faded, etc. The guy before me had it for 2 years, so it's 5 years old and looks like new. Like has been mentioned, I chose this one for the simple reason that I wanted something that was easy to remove when I loaded the wheeler. It rolls up next to the rear window and out of the way in seconds (whereas the fiberglass ones need to be completely removed).

Lastly, installation by myself took less than an hour.

Hope this helps.

I've got the Access soft-cover and have had great luck with it. I had two buddies that bought the Truxedo and have had a lot of issues with stitching and velcro coming undone. I also have a lock for the tailgate which keeps everything nice and secure. If theives can't see it...they won't touch it.

Having never taken a close look at a truck with a tonneau, I have a couple questions.

Is it possible to peel up the vinyl at the sides to see what's in the bed? Which type of seal is best, snap velcro or other?

Airjer, I like the idea of the Full tilt. My question is if the snapless version is still a roll up. I've looked everywhere, called several places, but can't get a straight answer. Any ideas?

The Access has velcro...some of the other brands have snaps, which some have mentioned rust issues.

As far as being able to 'see' under -- not likely. 1) the cover fits tight enough to barely lift it an inch or so, and 2) the inside of the bed is dark (with the cover on) that you'd have a real tough time seeing anything even if you could peel the side more than it allows.

Airjer, I like the idea of the Full tilt. My question is if the snapless version is still a roll up.

I'll hopefully have a straight answer for you tomorrow but I am almost positive it does. The directions for snapless install show it rolled up. I also checked the directions for the snap and the pictures are different so i would say that it does.

This will be my first snapless and the thing that caught my attention was its not velcro its more like a zip-lock. I could count the number of times I had to roll up my other one one on one hand, but thats me. I have always had snaps and am usually the only guy here that prefers them. I hope the snapless works out.

Hey Airjer,

Are you working tomorrow? I'd like to stop by and check out that cover. I was all set to buy an Access here in town, but it's $425 installed. I found the Extang tilt snapless for $359 before a $20 credit, with free shipping and free tailgate seal. It would be great if I could see one in person before ordering, or deciding on the Access.

Anouther vote for an Access. Personally I would look for a used one off Craigs List or something. They last along time and alot of people sell them when they buy a new truck. I got mine at Hay Days 2 years ago for $125 and I looks like new.

Actually found it for $339 through Truck Add ons. They're running a $20 off deal for purchases over $250. It says that it ends tomorrow at Noon, but I've seen websites do this before, with the next day being the last, every day. Guess we'll find out. I would still like to take a look at it first, though. 20% restocking fee on returns is nearly $70!

Before I got my topper I had a soft tonneau. It was an Extang something or other and it had what I think they called J-lock for securing it. Kind of like the zip-lock that airjer mentioned. I went with the soft so that I could remove it easily when I needed to haul something taller. I didn't have issues with theft, but I never really left anything of value in the bed if I was leaving it unattended. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was really difficult to secure the cover in the cold because it wouldn't stretch very well.

I'll agree, it can be a little difficult to get it back on when its cold. With the snap model you had a couple of different options. You could drop the stretchers to the next lower level to add a little more slack, or you can flip the snaps around so it did not have to stretch as far.

I had a fiberglass cover on my F150. It was great security but definitely added weight to the truck and required two people to remove if I needed the extra height.

My Rangers have both had the soft, velcro covers from Truxedo I think. They are great. It's never been slashed, I do keep things of value in the back, and it's easy to roll up when needed.

My only caveat is that I highly recommend adding a tailgate lock. I put one of those Dynolocks in so it's hooked up to my automatic locks. I'm very happy with the entire setup.