• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Buddy Big Heater.

Agronomist_at_IA

Bought a couple of new 1lb tanks, and screwed one into my big buddy heater and the threads on the dial side of the big buddy heater totally striped out. Anyone else have problems with the big buddy heaters like this? I took it back to the store and they replaced my big buddy heater, but was a little taken back at how easily the threads striped.

Never heard of it before. The tanks should twist on with little to now effort, if it is turning hard it is cross threading, back it off and try again. I think the threads on the buddy heater are made out of a softer metal than the tanks so the heater will always lose.

dose any one elss have kind of a hard time to get the big buddy lit ....it will most all the time light but might take me 5 minnets have to hold down the polit lit for like 4 minnets to i think blead all the air out of the line i use a 10 foot hose....it would be nice if they would come up with a better way to blead the air out

I was taught to always turn the fitting counter clockwise a bit or (Clockwise if reverse threads) until you felt it drop into the threads and then tighten for gas fittings.

I was taught this by an old timer that worked for Xcel energy when I was contracted to install gas meters for them.

Get the quick connect hose with the regulator.

airjer - I have the same issue with the quick connect with regulator if I haven't used the heater in awhile. Is there a "trick" to getting the air out faster?

Shorter hose. I use a three foot hose and can't see an advantage to a longer one. You just set the tank out of the shanty anyway.

Yeah I picked up the 10' green hose because people recommended the length is nice....but in the end the cord gets cold and wants to stiffen up making heater placement often difficult. Having a shorter hose would be easier I think in the end if you are just setting it right outside, not to mention a faster purge.

The other thing that you can do is connect the hose to your tank and open your tank and press down on the center of the end that connects to your buddy till you smell propane and now when you connect it will have propane right away. REMEMBER NO OPEN FLAMES WHEN YOU ARE DOING THIS or you will have a torch to deal with.

airjer - I have the same issue with the quick connect with regulator if I haven't used the heater in awhile. Is there a "trick" to getting the air out faster?

Even when I take it off the tank I have had no problems getting it started. It will flame out after about 30 seconds (from the air getting in the hose when filling the tank) but it starts right back up.