• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone been to Texas?

canobeans

Fishing is great, people not so great. My experience is from around the Dallas/Fort Worth Area. I use to visit my grandma every year which lives in a suburb of Dallas/Fort Worth. The residents are very rude but the fishing is great. No other comment.

I've been in Texas a lot in the winter months and have never experienced the rudeness but you can have that anywhere you go I guess. I'm actually leaving January 1st for the FLW stren series tournament on Falcon Lake. I've been talking to a bunch of guys down there and everyone is really nice.

Good timing for this post.....I was just working on plans tonight for a trip to the DFW area this March for a week of bass fishing. Yes, me a muskie guy first and foremost, looking into a Texas bass week!

The group I'd be going with has a standing trip every year. The local folk are very hospitable and enjoy seeing the Northern guys come down and like to compare daily catches from what I hear. Should be fun....

Good luck to you tritonman on the FLW event!

Wife & I spend the winter on So Padre Is. Would be there now but we want to be at our g-daughters 1st christmas in MN. The fishing down there is great. we fish the bay for reds & Speckled trout. As for the people, I fish with some of the locals & they all nice people, you can run into jerk-baits any place. I hope to go up to Falcon and try for bass in Feb.

My wife's great uncle owns a marina/campground on Toledo Bend. I've been there once a few years ago but the water was so low and it was the end of December that we did try fishing. I've heard that the striped bass there are really coming around and it is still one of the better bass fisheries in the country. He's a neat guy and everyone down there seems nice and welcoming. I would never want to live in East Texas as the local economy there has never been stellar, but it is a pretty area and parts of it actually looks like northern MN.

My wife's great uncle owns a marina/campground on Toledo Bend. I've been there once a few years ago but the water was so low and it was the end of December that we did try fishing. I've heard that the striped bass there are really coming around and it is still one of the better bass fisheries in the country. He's a neat guy and everyone down there seems nice and welcoming. I would never want to live in East Texas as the local economy there has never been stellar, but it is a pretty area and parts of it actually looks like northern MN.

Have u been down there in the summer?

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Ive spent a lot of time living in Texas in the military and I would never live there permanently in a million years.

Y not? too hot.

Yeah south tejas is pretty hot, but Ive lived in hotter places, like the Mojave desert.

I've been down there the past two years for a college bass tournament on Lake Lewisville just north of Dallas. We haven't faired to well in the tournaments to say the least, but I definately have learned alot. I would recommend doing some homework on the lakes your going to or possibly look into a guide for a day or two (unless the guys your going with have spots already on the lakes your going to).

Its definately a different world, both on the water and off, but I like it down there mainly because its a change of pace and you get to see a different part of the country.

I spent more than half my life living in Houston, TX.

As far as the fishing goes, I'd call it pretty darn good! Nothing quite as fun as getting a nice sized shark or redfish on a rod down on the gulf. If you think sturgeon or flathead cats give you a fun fight, just try the salt water laugh One of my fav. places to fish is down in galveston. Freshwater fishing is great, I didn't do much down there. There are some real monster largemouth bass and bluegill in the south, and not to mention texas is a great place to fish for crazy things like alligator gar. My only complaint is a serious lack of musky or northern pike.

As far as the people, it differs on the region. You get rude city people, you get wonderfully nice suburban/rural people, and you get crazy religious fanatics. And everything in between. As much as people love to stereotype texans, there's been too much immigration to/from the cities and suburbs from all around the country(heck even the world for that matter) to generalize the people there.

I grew up in a nice suburb neighborhood. Before I went off to college just over 4 years ago, we were the only white americans on our little culdesac street. The other families included two asian families, a black family, a russian family, a german-iranian couple..

When I started going to college here in Minnesota, I was surprised at how much more redneck-y the "average" Minnesotan is than the people I lived around, I'd always been told that people from the Midwest were all like people from Chicago.. Stupid assumption but just the stereotype that outsiders hear about.

Let me shed some light on this situation. I moved down here 5 years ago from Iowa. It is unbearably hot in the summer time. So much so, I dread the end of the school year (i'm a teacher/coach) Once school lets out it will consistently be near 100 degrees. Who wants to fish when it's 100 out? NOT ME!!! I'm miserable during the summer. During the fall it's okay....I'm up to my eyeballs coaching football...but it's time for deer hunting. If you want to hunt deer....don't come to Texas. Another story for another day. That being said...I get very little bowhunting done. Now that winter is supposedly here...it was 80 today and will be 20 on Sunday. Crazy.

The winter and spring are okay...I don't mind that. It has been my experience after living down here for 5 years that people are very nice...but that depends on where you are at. I live in Irving which is an older part of Dallas. I've found people to be very friendly. The bass fishing is unreal. I've fished Lake Fork a few times and there are some hawgs in there...but you need to hire a guide to get you started. Lots of underwater structure. I don't have a boat so I fish from the shore. I'm going to attach the bass that I caught this past year. Needless to say...it was a good year of fishing!!

I really miss the snow and cold weather and bowhunting. This state can keep their nice people and bass. I miss actually seeing a deer when I go deer hunting and sitting on the ice catching northerns and walleyes!!!!!! Other than this first bass.....the other bass were all caught in a 10 day span smile

Pictures31004.jpg

Pictures25009.jpg

Pictures25003.jpg

Pictures20001.jpg

Pictures18019.jpg

Pictures17010.jpg

Hey Doop good to hear from you. Where abouts in Iowa did you move from and my good friends whom I visit in Texas are from a football powerhouse year after year. They live down south in Cuero.

I grew up and then taught in Riceville...near Osage. It's a small town. I really miss "home". My wife is willing to move back...we just need to pay off some loans before we make the move. That's why I'm working 3 jobs smile lol

I've learned a lot coaching football down here though. Football season takes on a life all its own.