• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbee Question - Ice Shelters

PTocko

Interested in potentially getting my first shelter. Some may have read my other newbee post - a lot of great suggestions there. I am intersted in a 2 - 3 person portable. I have 2 kids - one of which is wanting to ice fish - the other is too young this year but in the future. Would like room for him and possibly a guest (my dad, brother, wife etc). I would also like one that I can tow behind my snowmobile. I know that the ones that fold into an integrated sled would be the best but they are also the most expensive. I did find several Clam 5600's on C- list for doable prices (I'm on a budget). A couple of questions -

1) Can these be towed pretty easily?

2) Can you put your other things "inside" or can they be bungeed to the outside (auger, bucket, seats, electroncs, heater, etc.)

3) How portable are these or are they designed to be semi permanant?

Any thoughts on this shelter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

by itself it wont tow very good. they fold up pretty flat would not advice putting anything inside them. and for your last one to flimsy(sp) to be used a a permy IMO see alot of them on the ice but you wont catch me in one flip overs take the cake here.

PTocko...I'm in the same situation, take a look at the Eskimo Quickfish 3 or 6. Everything I've heard has been positive. They setup quick and fold down into a carrying case which is carried like a back pack. They seem to be a decent house for the $$$. Headed out next week to get mine! Good luck!

I love the 5600 I have. It is nice to not have your feet on the ice. Dragging is a pain when loaded with all the gear, but can easily make a sled for it with 2 old skis a sheet of plywood and a couple of blocks. If you have found a good deal on one it might be just what you need to see if you really enjoy the hard water. Then if you decide it isn't for you you could probably sell the 5600 next year for what you got it for. I will say the flipovers are very nice, but if you want to keep the price low should stick with what you can get a deal on.

I just picked up a Clam Base Camp, it sets up and takes down real easy and is pretty roomy. If you had this style just pick up a plain black sled to haul it and all your gear, way cheaper than buying a 3 man flipover style shack. I bought mine at Gander, they were $199 and I used an additional $10 off coupon I had, pretty nice shack for $189.

Couple of things you can do. Search for used. I have seen double flips (can fish four (two back to back)) in them easily and have a lot of room. Have seen them for $300 on Craig's List.

Now if you go with a Clam 5600, you can build a frame with some cheap used skis on the bottom. Also make a box on the frame to store your stuff and you are good.

I like the Base Camps. My buddy Wade picked one up and they are pretty room. Would be tight with 4 in there but they make a bigger one. Quick to setup and light weight.

If you read PTocko's original post you will see that he needs to get quite a bit of gear (house, auger, flasher?) with approximately $500. With that being said I think you will be able to get a suit case style house for less money than a flip over syle. The flip overs are the craze right now which is good if you are in the market for a used suit case house.

Like someone else said the suit case style houses are flat on the bottom and do not curve up on the front edges like a normal sled would (they dig into the snow) do not pull that well. If you have a snowmobile that issue pretty much goes away. You just won't be able to go fast while pulling it.

When I first started fishing the only thing I had was a suit case style house and had to haul my gear on top of it. I put a ratchet strap around the proplane tank, 5 gallon buckets, etc... to keep the gear together and on top of the house.