• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dropper hooks?

apegs

I use them for perch. I remove the treble from a spoon, then tie on a short piece of mono, then tie the treble onto the dropper line. I use a minnow head (or small crappie minnow) on the hook, but sometimes maggots work good too.

I use them for perch. I remove the treble from a spoon, then tie on a short piece of mono, then tie the treble onto the dropper line. I use a minnow head (or small crappie minnow) on the hook, but sometimes maggots work good too.

With removing the treble and tying line on, do you tie it through the hole or to the ring if there is one or does it not matter?

tie it to the ring

BTW: got plans this weekend?

No plans really i might have something going on friday night but open for saturday. I'm picking up a couple rods friday so i would like to do some fishing. What do you think? Maybe hit up gander too.

dropper rigs are great for light bighting 'eyes. it takes them that much less effort to suck in the bait because of the pendulum action. they do a little slurp and it in there mouth. if you have an aquaview, its fun to watch it in action. ive found its deadly with the cut-off ice buster bobbers that just barely sink a little for that super slow fall!!

last year on mille lacs the perch bite was kind of slow and they were not reall agressive. we were getting bites but we couldnt get a hook set so we decided to try a dropper rig and we caught so much more fish. our hook set percentage increased a ton. i think they are a good tool when the fish are not real agressive

Droppers are great for a multi species of presentations. Great for perch as already mentioned but I even use them on my tipups. Your basically using it as an attractor I like a number 2 or 3 silver swedish pimple or castmaster. Remove the treble hook and add a 12 inch drop line with a shiner on it. Also place a small swivel above the pimple As the shiner swims around the line rotates and the facets of the blade catch and reflect light drawing fish in from farther away. It also seems to help in low light and darker water.

I use a dropper on Waubay under a 1/4oz. Kastmaster, silver or Firetiger. #10 Red Treble 3" of line between the spoon and hook.

I hook 2x's the Perch this way vs. no dropper. Just keep an eye on the droper line for wear and knot strength. Use the same set-up for walleyes when the bite is slow and finicky.

Droppers are great for a multi species of presentations. Great for perch as already mentioned but I even use them on my tipups. Your basically using it as an attractor I like a number 2 or 3 silver swedish pimple or castmaster. Remove the treble hook and add a 12 inch drop line with a shiner on it. Also place a small swivel above the pimple As the shiner swims around the line rotates and the facets of the blade catch and reflect light drawing fish in from farther away. It also seems to help in low light and darker water.

Do you actually use a swedish pimple on the tip up? Its a cool idea ill have to tell a buddy that only uses tip ups.

I use a whole live shiner hooked through the back between the head and dorsal fin just under the skin and I also trim the tail.

I've always hookend minnows right under the dorsal fin, but beteen there and the head would be better? Also do you just clip a little piece of the minnows tail and what does this do? When just using a minnow head how would you hook this?

clipping different portions all have there own effect. it essentially just makes the minnow swim much more erratically. but it can also put some good scent in the water and you can use it to control the action on your minnow. for example, clipping the whole tail will keep your minnow from outrunning lazy walleyes! partnered with a dropper hook, it canbe deadly on sluggish fish.