Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heartman

Buying rebuilt '87 Evinrude 40hp - opinions?

10 posts in this topic

From a reputable marine mechanic, I am buying a rebuilt 87 Evinrude 40hp outboard. Heard it run - watched it shift - all was good. Lower unit in almost new shape - seals and gears redone as needed. Electric start, longshaft, tiller. $900.

Anyone have any experience with these older two-strokes? I'm pretty fired up about the purchase - 'course I won't be able to use it until open water season this spring. Just looking for opinions.

Any idea why it needed to be rebuilt? Are you certain that the issues that caused it to burn down the first time have been resolved?

Is there any guarantee with the motor?

They were pretty good motors... I'd just want to be sure that it's fixed for good, and not just a rebuild without identifying the root cause.

marine_man

Rebuild necessary due to blown head gasket - cooling system plugged by debris - lower unit had issues as well. Compression 1t 135 for both cylinders. Impeller replaced with new. Outboard has top to bottom warranty through July 1, 2009.

So it overheated? If he is a reputable mech and you feel comfortable that all the causes have been taken care of, then go for it.

Get it out and run it before expiration of warrenty! Its a really good motor,but the rebuild would make me weary. Get some hours on it! before July 1st

I plan on running it hard when we get back to open water. He is a reputable mechanic, and it feels good. Just looking for comments about this particular model - I think this one will work for me.

Well, if your comfortable with the rebuild and the mechanic who did it, then I'd say go for it... yes, they're a decent motor, not known for any major mechanical issues, or anymore than another motor anyway. The only thing I'm aware of are powerpacks from time to time, and potentially the VRO pump... does this motor have the VRO on it yet, or does it use mixed gas?

marine_man

We're going with mixed gas - the VRO is out the window - motor set up accordingly.

If you have confidence in the mechanic then you should know,

having a good rebuild is less of a gamble then buying used.