• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sportsman 500 '09?

icefisher4ever

We have a sportsman 500 2009 and i love it but when i leave to go plow and make the first pass it always boggs and sputters and then stops and i always let it up for about 10 min. then when it dies i start it again and dies then about the thrid time its fine. Im kinda confused

How much snow is coming over the plow? You might be getting snow into the intake even though it's mounted pretty high on the SP. There might be an extra attachment that you can mount on top of your plow, or make one yourself that will help keep the snow from coming over the top and into the machine.

The other thing that I'm thinking is if you're using a winch to raise/lower the plow. It could either be a case of a low battery that needs to be charged or the winch is drawing too much juice from the battery while using it under load.

How much snow is coming over the plow? You might be getting snow into the intake even though it's mounted pretty high on the SP. There might be an extra attachment that you can mount on top of your plow, or make one yourself that will help keep the snow from coming over the top and into the machine.

The other thing that I'm thinking is if you're using a winch to raise/lower the plow. It could either be a case of a low battery that needs to be charged or the winch is drawing too much juice from the battery while using it under load.

It's probably one of these two things LEP already mentioned. Maybe too much slow rpm driving or just a bad battery. Some 500's come with smaller batteries than others. Not sure if you mentioned, but is it EFI?

Clean the air filter and put a battery tender on it all the time when not in use, if you use it for plowing. Try those two first.

I just stopped at a dealer and talked with a mechanic buddy of mine and he confirmed, when you 1st start the machine, let it warm up good, maybe 5-10 minutes. If you take off when cold and it stops, it's loading up fuel and won't start/run right. I suspect after your 3rd start it has cleaned itself out and runs okay, since it's warmer by that time. Doesn't sound right but, that's what the word is.

I just found out with my 08 500 that unless I let it warm up good, it runs just like that also. Boy are they fun in the snow and the kids get a kick out of being pulled in the sled!!!!

just don't get caught if your using a rope to pull the sled.

I know we've all done it at some point in our lives, but you will get dinged if the wrong person sees you using a rope.

Originally Posted By: chasineyes
I just found out with my 08 500 that unless I let it warm up good, it runs just like that also. Boy are they fun in the snow and the kids get a kick out of being pulled in the sled!!!!

just don't get caught if your using a rope to pull the sled.

I know we've all done it at some point in our lives, but you will get dinged if the wrong person sees you using a rope.

What do mean pulling with a rope? Do I pull them with a chain or cable?? confused

I think it has solid, like a bar for the ice fishing houses you see. On your property you can do what you like, as long as the people around don't see anything too crazy and stick their nose into it.

Some people are just stupid. That is what causes all of these problems. I'm sure you are safe, but some people aren't.

What I meant is the means of attaching the sled behind the ATV or snowmobile.

State law requires that any sled or trailer containing passengers and being towed by an ATV must have a solid/rigid hitch.