• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Box: Lighted

FishinGirlMN

Wondering if anyone has some extra wooden box style ice fishing tip up/lights/buzzers boxes? I would like to make some or buy, so if anyone has plans on "how to" build or would be willing to make some for me or has some they'd like to sell. These are fully enclosed tip ups, helps keep the hole from freezing and snow drifting in-- lil light on top would be great, buzzer for my cb even better. Thanks!

CJ

Never seen or heard of these before ... Are stock items from a manufacturer or custom/home made only? Any pics of what you are referring to.

I think you can accomplish the same thing with the frabril insulated hole tip-ups, or a standard tip-up with a stock foam hole cover & tip-up light.

Custom made I guess?! I did find a guy in Saskatoon who makes small ones 12X16, so Im gonna check em out next week while Im in Canada.

Guess I need to start my own side business of making these huh? The Finicky Fish Factory is $100 but I've been using simple trigger boxes with rattle wheels installed for over 20 years...homemade. Should've patented em huh? or maybe I should get on that! Any buyers???

Not a bad idea...

Many years ago, my dad and his buddy had some of these that they heated with a candle and it was enclosed and they had buzzers rigged (wired) into the house. Theirs were home made.

Another guy that i work with has some similiar with wireless signal buzzer to the house and those were also home made.

Might be a market for that type of thing...but most guys will just opt to use the rattle reels in the house?

Me & the Crusty old Norske prefer old coolers for the box. The simplest design is nothing more than a hole cut in the bottom of the cooler with the tipup across it. A votive candle will keep things pretty ice free down to -20 or so. Make a chimney out of a plastic roasted peanut jar to keep the candle from blowing out when you open the cooler. Get one of those wireless tip-up pagers at fleet Farm and you're in business. One tip, leave the drain hole open and free of snow or the candle will go out.