• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch for Fish Trap

Lip RIPPER!

Question

I have a one man Fish Trap Magnum Deluxe and want to put a hitch on it so I can pull it with a sled or ATV. Can you buy them specifically for it or have you engineered your own? Let me know your thoughts.

5 answers to this question

I have the same Trap, look at my post under Fish House Handyman. When I pull by ATV or snomobile I just unhook the poles from my backpack frame and hook up to the ATV. The poles are aluminum with a dowel rod inserted in each end, then I drilled holes in the dowels and screwed in eye bolts, then crimped the end of the poles. I also put a couple of screws through the pole into the dowel to hold them in place. I have been pleasantly suprised that there has been no equipment failure, been using the same poles for a few years now. They are about six feet long. Hope this gives you some ideas.

The company that makes Fish Traps also makes metal hitches specifically designed for towing by snowmobile/ATV. Check with stores that sell the Traps. Not sure what their Web site is any more, but I'm pretty sure I saw the hitches on there a couple years back.

Also, most any metal shelter hitch, say for an Otter or other brands, could work. I believe most of them are bolted on the front of the shelter. On the one designed for the Trap, it may line up with the rope holes already there. If using a hitch designed for another shelter, you could cover the existing rope holes and drill new ones to line up with the hitch.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-31-2002).]

the USL/Dave Genz hitches-Looks like it's a one-size-fits-all hitch.

Cheers, grin.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-31-2002).]

I mounted two eye bolts to the front ( direction to be towed ) of my trap. I then got about 9 feet of plastic coated cable and a length of electrical conduit. I cut two pieces of conduit about 4 foot long then threaded the cable through both and formed two loops at the end of the cable with small cable clamps. On the two end loops I added a carabeener type snap. In the middle between the two pices of conduit I formed a loop with another cable clamp that attatches to a clevis which is attached to my ATVs hitch. The tow bar rig snaps on and off in seconds and can be pulled by hand or machine. When the day is done and I load er up in the truck I just unsnap the hitch and stick it inside my trap. EASY and best of all only cost about 10 bones. I use the same hitch deal for my Otter too.

I bought USL's "Snow Tote" tow sled and hitch several years ago but only used it on occasion and pulled it with a rope. When it came time to put a hitch on my Fish Trap Voyager, I used this rigid hitch (Item #8771) and it has work well.

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm