• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GAS SMELL

Any Ideas? The wifes 03 Kia with 60K smells raw gas when she starts it. She says its not all the time but getting worse. Have looked under the hood, and no gas. Looked on the floor and none there. She has to crack a window because it gets that strong. Any where to start to look? Thanks

Check engine light?

What engine?

Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Start the car and then shut off. Wait for fuel to come out of the vacuum fitting on the regulator if it isn't already wet when you pull off the vacuum line.

I would say it is the evaporative emissions system purging fumes from the tank when started. It should not get inside of the car though.

I would say you should bring it in and have it checked out. If an issue is found, most likely it will be a TSB or SSM and require use of a scan tool to fix. Others may have a better idea though.

Good luck!

EDit: Or what Airjer just posted grin

Is the gas cap on? My wife left it off on our Suburban once and it smelled like gas very strongly. It wasn't off long enough to set a code because she had come home right after filling up when I found it.

Ok here is what happened. Cat. Converter started to plug up. Wasnt bad enough to set the check engine light. Got it fixed. Man you never know anymore. I sure cant work on these cars anymore. Dont have the testers or tools!! Thanks for your help, and ideas.

It must have been causing the PCM to richen the fuel mixture and saturating the catalytic convert, to the point of large amounts of unburnt raw gas/fumes to build up in the cat. Thus causing the converter to clog it self confused, or the converter was not working at all?????

Quote:
Wasnt bad enough to set the check engine light.

Funny, but I guess it could happen.

Still do not know how the fumes got in the car when first stsrted, but I guess it could happen. Maybe they come in via the heater????

Glad you got it fixed. smile