• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish cakes

I make fish cakes and but kind of make them up as I go depending on what I have around.

crappie cakes

1 box of corn bread stuffing

1 lb chopped fresh fish

1 jar artichoke heart(chopped)reserve oil

1/2 bag baby spinach(chopped)

1 can crab meat(reserve juice)

2 eggs

1 small bag salad shrimp(optional)

1/3 cup shreaded parmesan cheese

1 Tblsp mrs dash garlic herb

1/2 - 1 tsp.lemon pepper

1/4 cup fine chopped red pepper

panko(optional to roll patties in)

In a bowl add stuffing.beat eggs oil reserve and crab juice and mix into stuffing and let sit a bit.Add remaining ingredients and mix,If mixture is a little dry you may need to add a lttle water or another egg.form patties,roll in panko and fry in oil.I like to sprinkle a little parmesan,artichoke,and fresh chopped spinach when plating.

I have also made little balls and deep fried for hush puppies.

hope you enjoy them grin

Those do sound good Meatfish and I would like to try making those someday; but if you don't have all the ingredients, here is a simple, but good recipe for fish cakes from the Grand Portage reservation:

Grind up some fish (basically any abundant fresh fish will do). Add a small chunk of ground up salt pork (optional).

Add an egg, or two depending on how much fish you have.

Add a bit of ground white onion.

Add some saltine cracker crumbs to create a firm texture.

Mix all together, form patties, and fry in hot oil.

Salt/Pepper to taste when out of the fryer.

Works for us everytime we make it.

Cheffrey had a recipe on here for cakes that was great. I'll see if I can find it.

My dad makes an excelent cake thats quite basic.

We like hand chopped fish instead of ground.

Saute up a chopped onion and mix with the fish, a few eggs, a bunch of salt and pepper, and italian seasoned bread cruumbs.

Your looking for a prety sticky and thick mixture.

Fry in enough oil to cover half the patty - dark golden brown on each side.

Make the patties about a half inch thick, much thicker than that and they dont get cooked in the middle.

I found Cheffrey's fish cakes! Hope you don't mind DC! I really want to make these too. So you don't grind, you just chop the fish, right?

Quote:
When I make fish cakes I like to do my best to keep the fish chunky so the cakes have a little character. Here is the recipe for the ones I do at Larsmont Cottages:

Walleye Cakes

3 lbs. Walleye (broiled)

1 large carrot shredded

2 stalk celery diced

½ medium red onion diced

4 cups panko (bread crumbs)

2 cups mayo

1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

S&P

Bake off your fish with a little salt, pepper & olive oil. Allow it to cool prior to mixing the ingredients. I like to add the fish last and mix everything with my hands only lightly breaking it up. Once mixed I use a ice cream scoop to portion and hand patty to form. Saute in a little bit of olive oil or egg wash, bread crumb and fry. Your choice.

Enjoy!

Lisa - My grandfather always ground the fish, the first time I made em with chopped my dad said we'll never grind them again. Just a texture thing smirk

I do what i'd call a medium chop...

Chef's recipe calls for cooked filets. Any time I made cakes I always used uncooked walleyes or perch...

There was a recipe for fish cakes in the new "bon appetit magazine.

Fish Cakes with Slaw and Horsradish dill sauce

Ingredients

* 2 large lemons

* 1/2 cup mayonnaise

* 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided

* 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

* 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish

* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided

* 4 slices white sandwich bread, torn into pieces

* 8 oz mahi-mahi, cut into 8 strips

* 1 large egg, lightly beaten

* 1 8-ounce bag coleslaw mix

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation

Grate enough lemon peel to measure 2 1/2 teaspoons. Halve lemons; squeeze enough juice to measure 1/4 cup. Mix peel, 2 tablespoons juice, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup green onion, relish, horseradish, and 2 tablespoons dill in bowl; set sauce aside.

Grind bread to fine crumbs in processor. Place 1 cup breadcrumbs in medium bowl. Place remaining breadcrumbs in 13x9-inch baking dish. Using on/off turns, very coarsely chop fish in processor (do not form paste). Add fish to breadcrumbs in bowl; gently mix in egg, 1 tablespoon sauce, and 1/4 cup green onion. Shape fish mixture into four 3 1/2-inch-round cakes; thickly coat with breadcrumbs in baking dish.

Toss coleslaw mix, 3 tablespoons sauce, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon dill in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fish cakes; sauté until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Serve fish cakes with slaw and sauce.

------------------

Northern would work instead of Mahi Mahi. I haven't tried this yet so if anyone does, some feedback would be nice.

Yep, Cheffrey's recipe is one of my favorites. I'm a big panko fan and I really like the carrot in there. I've used several other kinds of fish besides walleye with great results. I will do a change-up with the Old Bay on occasion.

dsc02073aLL.jpg