• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Okay, dumb question on starting

BoxMN

Caution, newbie sledder here smile

The 2002 Polaris xc500 I just got didn't start that great for me. I knwo it does start great, as I saw my nephew start it in two pulls... But it took me many, heh. I did not choke it on first few pulls - would that mess up the normal routine? Do I full choke it until it pops or starts, then half choke it? Or what could it be. I just dropped it off of the trailer too, so not sure if that would make a different being jostled arounud. I know it was just gone through as well and they said ti was working fine, so all should be mechanically sound... I hope. It did then start and run fine (very short run, down yard and back), but it took lots of pulls...

I know it has old gas, so that is part of it. It was also real cold, but it s a snowmobile, right? ha! Any advice would be great. Maybe my next time will work great.

choke till it pops then half choke till is sounds like its gonna die and then your off to the races its better to have your muffler warm to ride ne way so the first time of the day let it warm up good.

if you dumped it off that trailer and then started and took off w/o warmin it up you prolly fouled out the plugs...replace them....choke it full and pull should start w/ 3-5 pulls,when it starts and sounds like its gunna die turn choke off and keep idlin it w/ the throttle up to and not anymore than 3,000 rpm,after a minute or two it should idle by itself,let it warm it up for a good 5 mins if its really cold maybe a little longer,also as has been said turn gas off when trailering otherwise floatvalve can stick,be sure check if gas is on,beings you just took it off the trailer! hope this helps! best of luck...lets see some pics

you stated that it was just "gone through". When I go thru mine, the carburators are empty when i re-install them. When I start it up for the first time after, it takes about 20 pulls for the fuel pump to fill them back up. After that, 1-2 pulls. Try it again now that it has been running and see if it's better now. Always look for the easy solutions first.

Thanks guys! I will have to get my process down. I got my outboard starting down to a science smile but the sleds are new to me. So this is great advice.

I will get some pics next time up there, and also of that 88 indy 400 that I traded the canoe for smile

Now I just have to learn how not to look like a newbie - I guess learning to start them properly is a good start wink hehe

Darren the fuel shutoff is mounted next to the air box.

During trailing and unloading its possible the fuel drained from the bowls and into the crank. If the inlet valve leaks a little it can continue to drain into the crank as well, the fuel could even gravity flow from the gas tank and though a bad inlet valve.

Normal cold starts, full choke(fuel enrichment)till it starts. Just and FYI the lever has 3 positions. Off, partial and full. Full is flipped one more step past partial.

Depending on the beast it might want the full or partial just after it starts, or it might want a bump to full or partial then off.

Originally Posted By: Scott Stein
turn gas off when trailering

I've never heard that or done that before. I assume then there must be a shut off switch some where.

02 Polaris 500, where might it be?

Dtro,

Check right on the oil and coolant tank housing, right in-between them. It will have a red little twist handle and a diagram showing on and off.

If you sled does not start for some reason, always check the fuel shut off valve grin. Some buddies can be looking out for your best intrests and never tell ya wink

Yeah -- I always start with full choke then once it pops off and is running you "listen" to it and drop back to 1/2 choke and then no choke while it is running. That has worked for me on all polaris sleds i have owned.

Funny story --

Every year I run the battery down to nothing trying to get it to start.Then at some point I figure out why it didn;t start and it is because of the gas line I turned off at the end of the year when I ran the gas out. Figures...

Originally Posted By: shackbash
If you sled does not start for some reason, always check the fuel shut off valve grin. Some buddies can be looking out for your best intrests and never tell ya wink

LOL! Been there done that! grin

poppin of one of the plug wires just a little, really gets them thinkin.

Originally Posted By: shackbash

LOL! Been there done that! grin

whistle

It's even worse when you go get a gas can and try to put more in the tank thinking you ran out blush

choke till it pops then half choke till is sounds like its gonna die and then your off to the races its better to have your muffler warm to ride ne way so the first time of the day let it warm up good.

I second this.

poppin of one of the plug wires just a little, really gets them thinkin.

i did this to a buddy of mine who rode a mini bike about 3 miles to wrk hoping the cap would pop off and hed be mad and have to tow it home....he rode all the way home and back the next morning and i looked and it was still just sittin on the plug! lol