• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Puerto Vallarta

Lunker

I fished the bay in late March 2 years ago. I went down to the marina and hooked up with a boat. The red tide was just starting, so the fishing was very poor. We looked into a deep sea charter as well, but decided against it as the deep sea fishing was very slow at that time.

My observation there was this: If the guy you’re inquiring with is also the captain of the boat you’ll probably get a decent rate. If he’s associated with the hotel your saying at or is a cab driver or anyone else down the chain the price will be inflated (everyone gets their cut).

We went to a small fishing village south of PV called Boca, it was a .50 bus ride and it brings you right to the town. Get there late in the afternoon when the fishing boats are coming back and watch who’s catching the most fish and approach the captain and inquire if he has any openings for the following day. If he doesn’t there will be other that will. We paid $300.00 for a full day + beverage and food but you can always bring your own if you want. This isn’t always the case with larger charter services. The boats are small usually with a 40hp tiller and no cover from the sun. The marina charters will be much larger and more comfortable with a corresponding cost increase.

Have fun and go early in your vacation because you might want to do it again while your there. Report back when you return.

My 10 year old Daughter and I chartered a boat out of paradise village resort last febuary. 10 hours for 350 Dollars. we had 3 sailfish hookups and 3 marlin hookups that day. But the fish broke the line pretty quick each time.dont know if there poles and line where bad or if this is expected when the bill fish make there first big run. We had a great day on the water and would do it again. next time down there I am thinking I might buy afew rod an reels to bring down with me and use the same charter

Went with out with Master Baiters ( yes thats the name) in downtown PV. The trip was 4 or 6 hrs don't remember. Caught 3 nice grouper and one mahi, it was a blast. Don't remmber the price i think it was over $450, spendy but worth it.

I haven't fished PV myself, but have spoken with many guys who have. It's probably the best big yuna port around, with fish in the 200-300+ catagory caught frequently every year. But that fishery is aways from PV itself; most of the big tuna charters are long, expensive days...10-12 hr charters for 800-900 (and up) World class fishing though. Seems to me high season for them is July -Jan. or so. The rest of the PV fishery is pretty hit or miss; pangas and smaller cruisers fishing the bay or bottom fishing, with some limited offshore trips. I wouldn't fish PV other than for the big tuna, there are much better destinations. Of course, if you're already there on vacation, (which is the customer base most of the PV charters count on), and really want to go out, just have realistic expectations.

Talk to the boys at the fly shop located in the same building as Thorne Brothers. I did and had the time of my life. I went fishing in the flats. It is about a 3 hour drive from PV but the day we had we will never forget. Bone fishing is amazing you will never forget it. You can fish with spin gear or fly stuff what a blast. contact me if you want more info

[email protected]

I will be down there as well around March 20th for a wedding that I am in. I was thinking of bringing a rod, but the all inclusive hotel, free drinks, all my best high school buddies, I would be lucky to get up by noon. I have heard the fishing can be excellent though.

TrophyEyes, what "all inclusive" you staying at? I was just looking on the net at some and could use some advise? Ever stay there before or know anybody who has? If I remember right-3 all inclusives were list for Puerto Vallarta.

We are staying at the Vallarta Palace. I have no idea of the cost or any of that. I am in the wedding party and the room is being picked up by the bride and groom. I believe that hotel is the high end of the all inclusive hotels in Puerto Vallarta. I know some folks that have time shares down the beach and they said that hotel is a bit over priced. I have no idea, but they have four awesome resturants that are covered. I was also told that there is a bar in my room and 24 hour room service. I am thinking it will be pretty fun. I have no idea if that is true. I am just showing up.