Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dave2

Adjusting draw length and draw weight

9 posts in this topic

I got my son a used compound bow yesterday but it was set for a little bit older kid. I need to adjust the draw weight down and shorten the draw length from 21" to 19".

Is this something I could do on my own or do I need to bring it in to Cabin Fever? My father in law has a bow press if that helps. If I can do it myself does anyone have instructions on how to do it or is it different on each type of bow?

big dave, what kind of bow is it.

each are different though some are similar.

I bought my youngest son a browning micro midas III

the draw length was easily adjusted by moving the screw in the cam to the desired length.

then the draw weight was easily adjusted. a allen wrench turned the screws in the limbs where they attach to the riser.

I had to ask the guy I bought it from how far i could back the screws out safely.

you may or may not need the press to make your adjustments, depending...

The bow is an Alpine Archery "colt"

I don't think the draw length is adjusted that easily on this one. It sounds like the newer versions are similar to what you are saying but I am having a hard time finding info on this model.

I am sure that this one has the same system for adjusting the draw weight as you described. The only thing I don't know is how far I can turn them out and if I have to make sure to turn both of them them out exactly the same distance?

You may need new cams or maybe shortening the string will help. Either way it's best to let the pros handle it.

It's possible that there is no way to shorten the length a full 2 inches. You may have just gotten a good lesson in archery. frown

When buying a bow, it's always best to make sure it fits first.

there may be a way to tune the limbs to be set exactly the same, but all I have been instructed to do was to bottom them out(all the way tight) and then back them out equal amounts.

you are correct, you dont want to go to far. the mfgr will recommend only backing out say 2 1/2 turns MAX..that's just an example.

check the HSOforum and get a hold of their customer service.

you can run your questions past them for exact answers.

gees, I hope you don't have to change cams to adjust draw length.

here's a link to their customer support

http://www.alpinearchery.com/customersupport.html

You may need new cams or maybe shortening the string will help. Either way it's best to let the pros handle it.

It's possible that there is no way to shorten the length a full 2 inches. You may have just gotten a good lesson in archery. frown

When buying a bow, it's always best to make sure it fits first.

It says right on the bow that it is adjustable from something like 18" to 20 something inches. I thought most all bows had some sort of adjustment for draw length. No? It would be a pretty crappy design to have NO adjustment for draw length on a youth bow I would think. You would have to buy a new one every year if that's the case.

If it says right on the bow that it is adjustable from 18" - 20", then it is. It's just that every bow is a little different and they all get to those extremes in different ways.

Take it to a pro shop and let them set it up to your boy. They can also help with arrows that will work with that set up for a while as he grows with the bow.

Good luck.

good advice.

one reason I went with that micro midas was because of its wide adjustment on draw length and weight and because I didnt need to take it in to have it done.

you are right, on youth bows, they should be widely adjustable.

pro shop...can't go wrong. you'll learn a thing or two also if you pay attention and ask dumb questions like I do grin

I just talked to a guy at my local (or at least closest) pro shop. He said that it is not hard to do on this bow and they only charge $5 or $10 to do it.

I'll be visiting them one day this week.