• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fl-18 or LX3tc?

northernsportman

I am wondering which one first of all, but does the LX3 have the split screen feature like the 18? i know it does zoom all across the board but is it split screen or does it zoom up in the one screen? Also is there a lock on feature on the lx3? is there anyway to lock it on the bottom or would you have to set it every time you move to a different hole.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would strongly encourage you to pick up the LX-3.

As for your questions about it, it splits the screen in zoom mode, so you see the entire water column on one side and the zoomed in 5 or or 10ft on the other side. Also the zoom is "locked" on in the sence that if you are zoomed in on the 12-17ft range, it will stay there when you move holes, but it will not re-adjust to the bottom again.

Another thing you may not be aware of is that the Vexilar uses a "digital zoom" meaning it only blows up the picture from the normal screen, but does not show any more detail. Marcum uses an "optical zoom" that acts like a pair of binoculars, you see things in more detail and larger.

would i need to set it to the bottom after every hole move? . is it fairly easy to do,like a touch of a button or would you need to spend 5 minutes settin it up again

You would only need to reset it if you changed depths considerably, it is however very easy to move up or down if needed, just push the button that says up or down.

RiverRat56 said it pretty well northernsportman. Marcum's zoom is a dream. I refused to sell my LX3 when I got my LX5 because it is too good to sell! If for any horrible reason my LX5 dies.... I still have one heck of a machine in my LX3!

Resetting the zoom on the marcums is super easy, you just hit the zoom up or zoom down buttons to move the zoom range to whereever you want it. and like was said earlier, you won't need to change the zoom unless your depth changes quite a bit.

I sell the flashers you're looking at and several others, you can check them out HERE if you want.

To answer the original question, As others have said, no matter which you buy you will be happy. Vexilar makes a very good product and I cant say anything bad about it. I like someone else has posted, own both the LX-3 and an FL-18. When it comes right down to it, the LX-3 in my opinion out performs the FL-18.

I like the movable zoom, I like that hte LX-3 has better interfierance rejection, I feel the LX-3 has a clearer screen, and I LOVE the fact that it doesnt have a flat screen. I have a friend who has a one of the flat screens.. While they are nice to look at from an angle, he found out that because they arnet in a case and flat that they scratch... NOt saying all do, just something I would see myself doing quite easy.

... I have a friend who has a one of the flat screens.. While they are nice to look at from an angle, he found out that because they arnet in a case and flat that they scratch... NOt saying all do, just something I would see myself doing quite easy.

FYI ... If one is concerned with scratching the screen, you can pickup a Vexiar soft case or just keep it in a 5 gallon bucket when transporting - that should address scratching concerns. I actually use both and have know issues.

Not sure what the difference is but I would go new to get the warranty. It is a big investment so nice to have the ease of mind knowing that if anything happened it will be covered and not out a couple hundred bucks.

The original LX-3 was a 3 color display, where 2 colors were blended to make the 3rd color (like the Vexs are). Marcum offered an upgrade to change the display to a true 3-color display, that's why you'll hear guys talk about them before or after the upgrade. The LX-3TCs come from the factory with the true 3-color technology. It really gives an ultra-crisp display that is very easy to distinguish and interpret.

The only reason i am stuck with my decision now is that i had found out that it is an older lx3, not the true color. I like color in my flashers. Meany, i started out with the fl-8 and never had problems with it, i just wanted to upgrade and it was getting kinda old. I am actually kinda depressed i got rid of it because we were so close, haha. Anyway, get anything if you havent had one before, trust me, its better having something than nothing at all. I might just say forget it and go with a fl-18, i know they are reliable and it would be new. i hate how hard it is to make up my mind! Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The LX-3 is a great flasher, fine display, excellent separation, movable zoom range, and very easy to use. It'd be a better "first flasher" than a lot of guys started out with. I have an LX-3 that my kid uses for his first flasher, that should tell you what I think about them and which one I'd go with.

There is no such thing as a bad flasher, or a bad "first flasher" (I'm talking new, not used). The least expensive new flasher out there will work great, it's just a question of how much you want to spend and if you want the more advanced features you get on the higher-priced units.

I think the true 3-color is awesome. You need to ask yourself, if you don't go with a 3-color flasher now how long will it be before you wish you had one?

I carry all the models of all the flashers, you can see them HERE. And if you have more questions I'd be happy to answer them.