• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about binoculars

BobT

Question

I've been considering making a purchase of binoculars to be used for hunting, fishing, and other general glassing. I have narrowed my search to one of two models and one of two optics....I think.

Leupold Wind River Cascade in either 8x42 or 10x42.

Nikon Monarch ATB in either 8x42 or 10x42.

I know pretty much nothing about optics and was hoping to get educated. Anyone have experience with these and what are your thoughts?

What about the power? 8x or 10x?

Thanks,

Bob

11 answers to this question

Hey Bob, I am no pro, but I got some 8x42 a few years ago. Almost got the Nikons, I liked them alot. Did not look at the Leupolds but I bet they are nice too. I ended up getting Burris Signature Series, part becasue they were on sale, and part because I thought they were crisper and cleared than the Nikons, but still like the Nikons as well. The sales guy was a birder and said the Burris mechanics were more solid with gears rather than springs... He had me tap both on the table and you could feel the spings "twanging" in the nikon, but not in the Burris... maybe something to ask about or to check out... but with that said, he did like the Nikons as well, and I got the Burris for same price as the Nikons, though the normal price of the Signature Series was quite high... anyway...

I also looked at the 10x but the weight was the thing that made me decide to go 8x. Also, the field of view was narrower in the 10x, and obviously more magnification, making things bigger of course... but my brother has a pair of 10x and I know that it is harder to hold them as steady and for me it takes longer to pick up something. Maybe I am just too wobbly smile But if you can, take both outside to get a feel for how steady the picture is and how quick you can pick things up. I use mine for ducks/birds too, so picking things up on the wing is important for me. Usinig my borthers in a boat, with wind/wave action was a bit "jerky" as well. His is Nikon I think but not as good model as you are looking at.

Good luck, hopefull gives you something else to use in your search.

I have no problem with the 10x vs 8x. Go with the 10s. The 42s you may find too heavy for day to day hunting. I use 10 x 30 for 90% of my hunting. The 10x42 mostly stay in the truck.

The Nikon Monarch is a great binoc IMHO.

Bob,

I have the Nikon 10X42s ATB. Good binoc. no problems, nice and clear, good field of view, no problem holding them steady. the only thing I have noticed is they dont work well if I try and look through a windshield. i dont know why. my dad has Leupolds and they are good as well. i have a set of burris that are big and heavy and porro prism that i like a lot. Are you by chance a firearm safety instructor? I will send you a pm....

I have the Leupold Wind River Cascades 10x42 and could not be happier with them. I think both are good binos, I liked the optics a little better with the Leupold. They are tough also, I have dropped them form the tree stand and still work perfectly.

As for the 8x42 vs 10x42, if you are glassing fields or hunting open areas the the extra power is nice. They weight the same amount, so I really see no reason not to get the 10x42.

You will be happy with either of them, try them both and get what you like best or which is cheaper. Good luck

Bob, I have a pair of Wind River Cascades, 10x42, and I absolutely hate them. Ive relegated them to my wifes duffle bag for when we go racing. Are they a good binoc, yes, are they a great binoc for the money. I dont think so.

You should be able to buy pair of DCF WP 10X40s for about 289.00, same price as the wind rivers.

I just bought that same binoc from that vendor for the farmer whos land I hunt on in South Dakota. I'd seriously consider getting these. They are head and shoulders above the Cascades

$.02

Well, I settled on my binoculars. I found a pair of Leupold Wind River Cascade 10x42 for $175. That's almost half the cost of anywhere else I found them. Couldn't beat the price.

I suppose I would have preferred the camo version but I settled for the natural color. Sort of a light green. I couldn't believe the price difference for color. These were $175, black was $279, and camo was $319. The camo I can understand because that is a copyrighted color but black?

Anyway, thanks for all the info.

Bob