• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deadstick?

apegs

Yes, its a rod. They have an extremly soft tip and then in the middle of the rod they get stiff to fight the fish. Most guys attach a minnow and sinker, place the dead stick in a rod holder, and watch the rod for a bite. The tip should be soft enough where the fish shouldn't notice any resistance.

A dead stick can be a type of rod, but it refers to a technique and a rod in general.

The technique is to fish a small jig and minnow or grub on a tight line but with no bobber, you fish the rod by putting it in a rod holder or on top of a pail and watching it, hence the name "dead" stick. This is usually done right next to a jigged bait.

Any rod with a very soft, slow loading tip would work well for this. 2 examples are the Thorne Bro Power Noodle (I think?) and the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick.

Acouple of very good deadsticks to consider if your looking to purchase one would be the Jason Mitchell Meatstick or the Thorne Bros deadstick. Both are very good rods and they both will get the job done the same.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/dead_stick.html

http://jasonmitchellrods.com/ice.php

I like to use a deadstick when I'm jigging a spoon and have a plain hook and a minnow on the deadstick about a foot off the bottom. many times the jigging will attract them and then they will smack the minnow on the deadstick. The soft tip will let one see the fish bite.

Both work. I've found times when a deadstick is far more effective, I imagine the fish doesn't hold the bait long enough for a bobber style hookset in these situations. I've also found times were the bobber is the way to go too. I prefer to deadstick if I can.

I love deadsticking, I almost never use a bobber any more.

I put my deadstick rods in rod holders, with the tips over the hole. When the rod tip bends down (or goes up if the fish puts some slack in the line), you pick up the rod and set the hook in one motion, and the fish is on.

I think there's several advantages over bobber fishing - no knots to freeze, no knots to move, no extra resistance from the bobber, don't have to worry about setting depth you just drop it to the bottom and bring it up a few inches, etc. Besides being effective, it's really a convenient way to fish.

I use Mitchell Meatsticks and have been happy with them.

Just got the new In-Fisherman and there is an article on deadsticking for walleyes. didnt get to read it as I was to busy watching DeAngello Williams run wild for the panthers last night but If anyone is interested it may be worth checking out