Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
frazwood

Ratso baits

I'm not new to ice fishing but I am new to Ratso baits. I bought a few this year and I have tried them on the ice the past few days.

I have had almost no luck with them at all. I can attract fish to the bait according to my electronics, but they almost never seem to take it into their mouths.

I did manage to catch three very small crappie this morning on the Ratso, but their bite was EXTREMELY subtle -- I noticed (hoped?) that the bait was falling a little bit slower than normal. The only other fish that I caught was a bluegill that I foul-hook/snagged.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Do you use a spring bobber?

I first tried ratsos last year and only caught a couple despite marking fish all over the lure and even following it up and down. One day when that was happening I started looking down the hole and I could see sunnies grabbing it, holding it in their mouths for a second and spitting it out. There was no detectable bite with my ultralight rod. So I bought a spring bobber and now I catch them like crazy on ratsos and other plastics.

I've had good results twitching them(i mean super gentle twitches) right in front of late season craps and gills that have been fished hard. Did you try anything more aggressive, and did you see any bigger fish?

They can be hot or cold, like any other lure. I happen to love them. I catch more fish on plastics now than live bait. With the ratso's, I try to vibrate the jig, getting the tail to move all over, and not so much quick jerking the jig. It's almost as if they can't help but attack it. I've noticed that while fishing plastics, the fish just inhale the jig. With live bait, they mouth it a little, but usually don't inhale it.

Last year I was crappy fishing with a buddy at 9-10pm or so and I was able to out-fish him using the ratso over his jig and minnow. Also, there was no resetting time other than to glow the head or head and body.

I was using Ratso's last night for Crappie, started with # 8 went to a 6. I did use a Springbobber. Used one Eurolarvae on hook. I did use a springbobber as they were biting so light I couldn't feel them. Got 15 in two seperate bite periods. without the Springbobber I probably would have caught 5 or 6. I say this based on my other rod with Genz bug and Euro was just looking like sniffers to me on the Vex.

Make sure your knot is positioned so the bait hangs horizontally in the water, after every bite I get I hold the ratso and bring my rod tip tward the back of the ratso making it hang properly in the water....BT

love ratso's and shrimpo's catch a lot of fish on them. I always have at least one of them rigged up to fire down the hole if I have a finiky fish down under. and I also make sure its tied correctly so it rides like its suppose to thier the same bait except one rides vertical and the other horizontal.

I always have at least one of them rigged up...

After punching several holes in a new area, it's a ratso or Little Atom plastic that's usually dropped down first to see what's around. They've helped me track down plenty of honey holes grin

After punching several holes in a new area, it's a ratso or Little Atom plastic that's usually dropped down first to see what's around. They've helped me track down plenty of honey holes grin

Same here, when going after crappies I almost always start with a ratso or a nuggie

Ratso's are great, but I usually use the shrimpos. I think they give you a better hook set. Both will get the job done though!

Something else to remember with these baits, is that one can over work them . If you are vertical jigging, some times just a light tap on the rod is enough to make the tail wiggle.

Good point. I tend to get them going pretty good to bring the fish in, then finesse the jig just enough to get just the tail going. That usually seals the deal.

I work Nuggies and weggies the same way. Put them on a small but heavy jig like the Wolfram and go to work. The heavier jig helps control the action by letting you work just the tail over the whole jig.

So, you guys are just giving the rod a little movement to basically vibrate the lure....not vertical jigging it up and down in bigger movements?

I would assume you are not fishing these under normal bobbers, but mainly spring bobbers?

Are you using rod holders at all?

Just trying to get an idea how you guys fish these when you have two lines wet.

No bait for me. I twitch, wiggle, bounce, vibrate and jig them. All depends on what the fish want that day.

Shrimpo's all the way. My 6 year old daughter was using a shrimpo with one spike and catching gills left and right last week.

No bait for me. I twitch, wiggle, bounce, vibrate and jig them. All depends on what the fish want that day.

Thanks Borch,

Also, do you guys usually use a spring bobber?

Originally Posted By: Borch

Thanks Borch,

Also, do you guys usually use a spring bobber?

For me it depends on the bite. If I can avoid a spring bobber I usually do especially when fishing outside in the cold. I do use the Jason Mitchell Meatstick when dealing with a light bite fishing outside in cold conditions. The tip works very much like a spring bobber with fewer freeze up issues.