• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oven Clearance

hovermn

Question

I just ordered an RV 3 burner stove/oven made by Magic Chef. It looks just like the atwood model, but is white. Are these a zero clearance instalation item, or does there have to be a space between the unit and cabinet? In otherwords, can the cabinet space be snug, or does there need to be a clearance gap?

what have others done?

11 answers to this question

I think it is the magic chef, not 100% sure - works great - I've cooked pizzas, roasts, garlic toast, baked walleye, hot dish, egg bake.... If your going to live in your house for a few days it is nice to have an oven.

An oven is one of the nicest things you can put in your fish house.

I got one on sale at a big RV dealership a few years ago as a scratch and dent. It's a small Magic Chef with three top burners and enough oven space to cook most medium sized pizzas.

The one in the camper/fish house is built into the cabinets which would make me think you don't have to have any clearance. I took that oven apart for cleaning and found insulation inside it.

The LOW sleeper house got an old oven out of a camper, 1963 still works great!

A friend of mine liked my oven so much in the wheeled house he found a used one out of a parted out camper and put it his wheeled house. To think he spent 15 years with that shanty with only two cook tops for cooking.

dirtking,

By the looks of the pic somebody got a new shanty! Looks nice.

BTW, you could also find a deal on a used one on that online free to buy and sell site.

Doug - it was new at the time - I got the oven on that Internet auction site. Paid 100 + 75 shipping - what a steal (it might have been 125 total the more I think about it)! It was at 5:30 Friday night and I got home from work with 2 minutes till the end of the auction and JUST got my bid in time.

This was all 2 working on 3 hard water seasons ago - now there is more junk in the house including a Formica countertop the is hinged to the wall just to the left hand side of the oven - it locks up and swings down to sit against the wall. That is HANDY!

Lots of night and trips to LOTW have been taken in the last 2 years!

I think it is the magic chef, not 100% sure - works great - I've cooked pizzas, roasts, garlic toast, baked walleye, hot dish, egg bake.... If your going to live in your house for a few days it is nice to have an oven.

With comments like that, you're really making me hate this snow! It's making us all wait a little bit longer to drive out there. Thanks for your review. It's nice to hear that I didn't buy junk.

Nice looking house, BTW. I like the layout. Do you fold up the top bunk during the day, or is there enough headroom to sit without hitting your head?

Hover - they actually fold down to make a very nice backrest when you are sitting there fishing (almost couch like).

I have been looking into installing a 2-way hinge so I could fold them up or down.

I bought the house as just a shell. It had the heater, carpet and 2 cabinets. I have installed my oven w/ storage for pans and such below, 2 gas lights, 4 bunk beds with storage below, a shelf, a counter top, stainless steel fan with a rheostat switch to adjust air flow hooked to a live well switch so I can turn it on, off or to "aerate" this is off for a few minutes and then kicks on for 30 seconds - I switch it to this all night (save on battery), coat racks and misc extras. The only thing I can really think I'm missing is I would like to install a radio.

I saw your pictures on the ice fishing page. Looks like you have a nice house too!

Also there is a million things you can make at home and throw in the oven. The egg bake is about my favorite. When you and your crew wakes up in the morning and everyone has a little fuzz in their heads still it is nice to just fire up the oven and cook breakfast. Cooking a big breakfast is about the last thing I want to do first thing in the morning when the fish are biting.

B.T.W - I looked on that auction site and I am 100% sure mine is a magic chef.