Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
harleyharry

New Otter House

Does anyone have one of the new style Otter Large Resort portables. A couple of questions.

How well does the new style tubes work wit the nylon inserts installed. I have read so many posts here about the binding with the original square tubing, and the new cabin I purchased last year has the same problem.

I have a Large Resort that I purchased in 2003. Will I have any problem with the trim lock on the canvas when I install it on the old sled?

Is the new material warmer than the old style canvas? I have one of the purple colored ones, and there are some places that I can see daylight through the material. This was like this when I purchased it new in 2003.

Thanks in advance for any info out there.

Harry

I got to try mine out for the first time the other day and the new pole design works great. The canvas is more dense and a different material than the previous style. I believe it should attach the same as your current sled. The new ones use the trim lock system as well and I don't believe the sleds are different, but you may want to take a look at the new ones or give Otter a call to make sure. I'm fairly certain they are still the same.

My new Otters tubes slide just fine with no binding. I would contact Otter to see what system fits what tubs before you purchase anything. Otter will be able to address all of your concerns about what fits what tubs and if the trim lock will work on your tub.

I have nothing but good to say about the new Ice Camo.

Call Toll Free....1-877-GO-OTTER or 320-963-6480

I purchased a new lodge this year in the ice-camo and I did not like the new pole setup. I do realize that it will aid in the binding problem, but i didn't like how all the compressive stress acts on those little nylon inserts (the spring pins now pop through the plastic inserts and not through the outer pole as in the old square poles). So I put my new canvas on the square poles, and the old canvas on the new poles. It's mainly a personal preference i guess, but I feel like the old poles are more rigid when they are set up because there isn't all that play from the inner and outer poles having the space between them. I guess I will just deal with the binding.

As far as being able to see daylight through the material, I also had the same concern. When the new unit is all set up with the window "shades" closed, I can see light protruding through what I would call tiny pinholes throughout the house. I tried blowing air through the material to see if it would pass wind or anything, and it does not allow any air to come through. I contacted otter about this and they said it is normal.

Also the windows in the new units seem thinner but more flexible, so maybe this was their way of addressing the cracking issues that people had in the past.

Overall, I like the new material, and the new seat system was the big selling point for me. I know I went off on some tangents, but I hope that answers some of your questions.

I don't have an Otter Resort, but I can share information on my new Ice Camo Lodge for the first time this weekend.

I really like the new tubing design and the locking design. The poles extend and retract very easily with no binding like people have mentioned in the older square pole design. I would recommend a little lube on any moving parts...

I'm not following you on your plans for a switch..new canvas on the old sled, new poles or a whole new set-up on the old sled? You might want to consult with Otter if you are not purchasing the new frame and a new canvas. The sled should be the same.

I fished in some cold and windy temperatures over the weekend and I was really impressed with the new 900 Denier skin. The inside of the house is black and there was no light penetration. My heater failed while fishing and I stayed warmer than I suspected. There was no wind penetration, the sun warmed the inside nicely and in the windy conditions it didn't seem windy from inside the house. Otter definitely improved, and I like this new fishhouse!

The new Arctic Camo and Arctic Blue houses will retain heat better, the new poles are way smoother and are not any less sturdy. I had my house in 30 mile an hour winds for 3 days straight last week and no problems. The Otter tubs are the same as the last 6 or so years. The new windows are more flexible and they will stay fexible in cold. 30 below and mine were fine.

We just put the new Arctic Blue skin and poles on my buddies Otter 2 sled that was 5 years old and it worked great.

Thanks for all the replys and info everyone. I had concerns about if the new cover and poles would fit my old sled, and if the new material would keep the portable warmer than the old cover. You all have put my mind to rest. Looking forward to the new covering to get here.

The old style covering has served me well for the past five years. but the way the cover is attached to the sled was never a weather proof system. I have always had drafts where the tubes all come together and mount on the sled. This is next to the occupants in the shanty, and some days will get quite cold if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

Last year I purchased a new cabin for when I am fishing alone. There was some issues with the poles and the cover when I was assembling the unit.

I cannot say enough about the customer service I received from Otter. They addressed every issue and went above and beyond on customer service to make sure that I had all the issues resolved, and was happy with the portable.

If I ever need a new portable, they will be my first company to go to.

Now, if they only made an insulated one.

Harry

Harleyharry,

Put a sheet of reflectix in the top of your new otter, no weight to speak of, reflects all of the internal light down and no "rain drops" on the head. Keeps it quite a bit warmer too.

I was talking to one of the otter rep's at the ice show yesterday and as of right now there is no plans for an insulated canvas otter, but that may change. I looked at both the Frabill r2tec and the canvas craft norpac and if I do upgrade in the future I will go with the canvas craft otterskin. I like the durability of the otter sled and the ability to just replace the skin when mine wears out.

WW

The new otters have square tubing which I don't like, plus the canvas is too stiff. I'm a fan of the older style with the round tubing. Why did they have to change things! They were great they way they were!