• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New fl-20?

Drewski

If you also wish to use it in the boat, you bet...the flat display is well worth it and will increase viability by 50%. But...If your primary need is on the ice, than the FL-18 will serve you well for many..many years to come.

An upgrade to a duel beam may be all the Tweak you need to get maximum performance from the great unit you already own now.

vexilar_mother.jpg

smile ..Yes Mother.

If you have the money to upgrade, sure. I don't think it's going to that much of an upgrade that you are going to notice the money spent as to what you gain. My opinion is that you ahve a really good flasher already but if you can afford it and really want it, the do it. If money it tight, then nothing wrong with whatcha got.

Quote:
If you also wish to use it in the boat, you bet...the flat display is well worth it and will increase viability by 50%. But...If your primary need is on the ice, than the FL-18 will serve you well for many..many years to come.

I have an FL-20 and I won't disagree with the statement above because I love the flat screen, but I would just like to ad that the FL-18 is also a good unit for a boat because of the bottom lock feature.

I like my FL-20 but there probably is not enough good reasons to upgrade from an FL-18 if you already have one. I would still be using my old FL-8 but I lost it once and bought the FL-20 before I got it back.

The 20 is nice but the 18 is nice too. Got all version and the only one I personaly use is the 20. Got three in the Ultra pack with covers and thats the way to go. For some reason the dual beam is on the FL8SLT. Used this unit for several years without any problems though.

The flat screen is a lot easier to read than the FL8's and FL18's. Day and night mode is night too.

IMO the FL-20 will not help you with catching more fish. If you can swing it I'd keep the Fl-18 for a spare, and Fl-20 as your primary. That is what I did.

The improved features are more convieniences that can be very nice to have.

1 - Night Mode (reduces screen brightness making it much nicer to read at night)

2 - Flat screen seems bigger, doesn't collect snow, and works much better when teaching someone to use a flasher cause of wider viewing angle

3 - New vexilars now come with an automatic charger, automatically goes into trickle charge when fully charged.

4 - 6 & 12ft zoom, I still usie mostly the 6

5 - I don't think it has bottom lock likethe Fl-18, so you might miss this if you use it for open water too.