Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzbunni

Towing Otter Sled behind Truck

10 posts in this topic

I know there is likely a simple answer to this question, but unfortunately I'm not so bright...or handy.

I see that they make ATV/Sled hitches for the Otter Sleds, and I was just wondering if there is any way to make that compatible with the tow hitch on my truck?

Does anyone tow their shelter behind their vehicle (truck/car; not ATV/sled) once they get to the lake? Slow speeds would need to be adhered to of course, but I'm kinda tired of loading my Magnum back into the truck bed everytime I want to move. I could of course just use the tow line, but then I worry about it going of course, or banging into the rear of the truck.

Buzbunni-

I have done this in the past, what you can do is get a lenght of rope and some strong straight conduit, thread the rope threw the conduit, make a loop, and do another piece of conduit, attach to ball mouth and to sled, good to do, If you use those Caribeaner clips its a fast hook up. the Conduit will stop the Sled from sliding under/into your set up.

Shawn

I have an Otter with the tow yok and I attach it to my 4 wheeler. What I did is take an old ball coupler, weld it to a chunk of bar stock about 3 feet long and then bolt it to the tounge on my tow yok. Works great! The tow yok is fine for pulling behind a snowmobile but it is to short for towing behind the 4 wheeler. I think this setup would work for towing behind your truck. Yeah you can use a rope if you want but you have absolutely no control over the sled. I have mine set up so I can put it on a ball or use a pin if there isn't a ball.

Why not just run a piece of PVC over your tow rope and loop the rope over your hitch ball?

Quick, slick and easy!!!!

WW

Quote:
I see that they make ATV/Sled hitches for the Otter Sleds, and I was just wondering if there is any way to make that compatible with the tow hitch on my truck?

I have seen guys use the otter hitch on trucks and cars. Just take the ball off and slide the hitch over the hole and drop the pin.

TowHitch.jpg

The eyelet fits right over an average sized light duty 1 7/8" receiver hitch with the ball removed. Just drop in a pin and you are good to go wink

you might need a goose neck flipped over to it low enough.

I have pulled my voyager all across the eastern side of Mille lacs before with only a rope. when it comes time to stop, you slow down well ahead of time. I have never had it bang into or slide under my truck....I personally don't see the need for the hitch. If I drove like my hind side was on fire, then of course I would use a hitch

.Picks brings up a good point. I would not just buy a hitch for your Otter for the sole purpose of pulling behind the truck. If you have a wheeler or a sled, it is one added feature of the hitch.

I went many, many years with a rock climbing style purple rope looped threw the holes of an Otter to form a big circle/loop I just dropped on the hitch of my truck. I would let the sled back about 15-20' and take it easy. Take stuff out of the sled that is breakable and you should be good to go.

I've attached it through a receiver with no ball in it ot remove the receiver and put it inside the hitch and put your pin in that way. Otherwise I've just pulled it with a rope too.

I pull a couple hundred pounds of gear in my Otter sled behind my snowmobile every winter. I just tie the pull rope to my rear grab bar. Go slow and the brake slowly as said above. Also, if you need to stop more suddenly, turn the truck at the end and your portable/sled will go past your vehicle on the side instead of ramming into it from behind.

Use something other then just rope. If you get on glare ice the sled will just keep coming up at you when you slow down or stop no matter how careful you are. I myself use the earlier mentioned rope through the pvc pipe setup. Works very well.