• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes You Can't Spear

bassNspear

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muskiefool,

My immediate beef with the musky guys is not a perceived one, it is not about what may happen if, it is not about laws that may or may not pass, it is about what is happening now.

Sportsmen restricting fellow sportsman's rights to hunt or fish on any public resource based on the 1%ers of either population is wrong no mater how you slice it. It is what is happening today, and it has to be reversed.

We can argue the details back and forth until we are blue in the face, but what we can all agree on is that a low percentage of muskies are accidentally killed by a variety of reasons even by muskie hunters themselves.

Unfortunately muskie fishermen themselves kill large muskies themselves by over playing them, therefore with the current "ban logic" it only makes sense that muskie fishermen should be banned from catch and release on muskie lakes.

It don't make much sense does it, it makes about as much sense as banning spearing on those same lakes.

It is interesting that you bring up MI. I find it very interesting that not only does MI allow spearing on lakes with Muskies in them but they also allow the spearing of Muskies. MI DNR supporting the spearing of muskies, there has to be some science behind that? MI seems to be a state that believes in the equal sharing of their public resources, I commend them on that.

I think the vast majority of spearers in Minnesota would NOT agree to the spearing of Muskies, nor would I. Any spearer (ie sportsmen) I have talked to respects the muskies in the lakes, they also respect the current laws that are in place (they may not believe in all of them but they respect them). They don't respect people who call them criminals, stereotype them as poachers, or restrict their right to enjoy a legal sport on a public resorce thier tax dollars and fees support.

I don't think it is a far stretch to know that managing lakes for muskie is almost one in the same with managing lakes for pike. I think the vast majority of spearers don't have a problem with managing a fair number of lakes for muskies. The beef I have is don't privatize those lakes once they are managed for muskies. Public dollars go into managing those lakes, yes even fees paid for darkhouse licenses, keep them open to the public.

I don't know how to state this any more plain for you guys who don't seem to listen.

The privatization of public resources through restrictions on other sportsman's rights to enjoy a legal activity is wrong. It is not what may happen, but it is what is happening right now!!!

I would actually like to get out and sit in a dark house with someone, I think we should do a trade take one of us in the darkhouse for a day and we'll get you in the boat Muskie fishing in the summer. I bet 99.999% of us have more in common than most would have you believe.

Fishing, Hunting, eating fish, Deer, Bear, Birds, Beer, Women, Whiskey, Family's, Friends and unfortunately work.

That my friend is what it is about.

That is the one way to get past this [PoorWordUsage] and make it happen.

Next weekend is your last chance this year.

I can meet you and Huey out there if you can make it.

Muskiefool,

It is interesting that you bring up MI. I find it very interesting that not only does MI allow spearing on lakes with Muskies in them but they also allow the spearing of Muskies. MI DNR supporting the spearing of muskies, there has to be some science behind that? MI seems to be a state that believes in the equal sharing of their public resources, I commend them on that.

!!!

Here, MI refers to the state of Michigan.

Thanks guys it looks like I'll get out next weekend.

I appreciate it.

I agree 100% that big muskies die from handling that is our mission to educate anglers and grow our sport as well, I feel the Darkhouse community would be very well served to do the same we all have room for improvement.

I'm not worried one bit about you guys spearing a 50 inch Muskie(unless your plan is to legalize Muskie spearing; unfortunately Ive heard some people talk with that in mind), we all know there is probably only 3 pike in the state that size so anyone spearing anything that size knows its a Muskie and is poaching.

The spearing bans were implemented to protect small fish from incidental harvest on lakes that are either brood stock lakes or lakes that have the possibility of producing State record or world record fish with very low numbers of Muskie in the system. I personally feel that they should be Catch and release only and have restrictions against pressure in the heat of summer.

I would like to see the pike protected on those 26 lakes as well, and my contention has always been that if the DNR is going to promote a trophy pike lake it should be on one or all of those 26 lakes so your right to spear is not in any jeopardy.

I'm looking forward to next weekend, thanks for the opportunity.

John

If any spearing guys would like to go muskie fishing, just let me know. I'd be happy to take you. No talking politics, just a day on water and chance for you to see what muskie fishing is like. If we're lucky we'll see or catch a muskie and you'll get to see what a rush it is.

I agree 100% that big muskies die from handling

The spearing bans were implemented to protect small fish from incidental harvest

I personally feel that they should be Catch and release only

Why ban spearing for its "negitive aspect" and overlook the negitive Catch and Release aspect?

Please help me understand this, it still don't make sense to me?

Sorry Merk that's 100% die from "poor" handling, My bad edit job on the way out the door, C&R with artificial baits is less than 1% if they are handled properly, by the numbers we catch every fish in the system 3-4 times a year, C&R works and is the major factor why people come here to Muskie fish from all over the world.

You talk about Michigan I personally don't know anyone that goes their to fish any inland lakes for anything, some that use to.

If you cannot find the value in the reasons I gave for the 26 lakes then I guess you'll have to hook a legislator and try to sneak it through, good news is I think you guys already set the hook on that one.

If anyone would like the C&R study I will give it to you I have a couple.

C&R with artificial baits is less than 1% if they are handled properly

That is my point, I can safely say musky spearing fatalities by spearing sportsmen are 0% if the muskies are identified properly.

I just don't understand the double standard.

The C&R study is good but, actually, I would like to see a speared musky study. It would be interesting to see how those numbers match up with the C&R study.

I have requested info from the DNR to show the number of speared musky violations but I have had no response for that yet. I will post it here when I do.

Originally Posted By: dcmusky
as far as cost goes MI has stocked many lakes with there own $$.

FYI In this case, MI refers to Muskies Inc.

Sorry I miss read that the first time though.

Thank you for your donation to a public resource.

Please do not confuse the fact that a donation comes with no strings attached. If these donations (muskie stockings) had strings attached (i.e. ownership of the fish or the public lake they were put in)it should be considered public corruption and or bribery. If that is the case it should be dealt with appropriately.

The fact that Muskies Inc played a small part in the ecosystem of a public lake should not give them the right to restrict other law abiding sportmen from enjoying their sport on that lake. Especially when there are already laws against the taking of "their" fish.

This bickering is getting old. I gotta get ready to go back to work tomorrow so I can make some more money for the MDAA.

Thanks for your time.

the major factor why people come here to Muskie fish from all over the world.

It is very nice not to have restrictive laws for your sport such as the banning of non-residents to enjoy your sport, isn't it.

The spearers however are not that lucky.

Now add to the fact that further restrictions follow that law in the fact that the restrictive policy negates our chances of spearing in other states such as North Dakota solely on the basis that we do not allow ND residents to spear in MN.

It just kills me to know that certain sportsmen would allow the dismantling of a sport that has been in Minnesota longer than Muskies have, in the name of “protection” from a perceived threat. A threat that may not even be as large as Muskie deaths from the musky fishermen themselves.

Here are my thoughts. It is public water lets share it.

If there is hard data to support a spearing ban then let’s see it, if not let’s get rid of the bans and share our water.

It just kills me to know that certain sportsmen would allow the dismantling of a sport that has been in Minnesota longer than Muskies have

I don't believe that statement is entirely accurate. Muskies, at least in some areas, are a native species to Minnesota and therefore probably pre-date the introduction of the sport of spearing to Minnesota.

"Muskellunge was one of the first sport fishes in Minnesota to be affected by over-exploitation as described by the numerous outdoors writers of the late 1800s and early 1900s." (Page 14)

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/fisheries/plans/muskiepike_2020.pdf

I don't believe that statement is entirely accurate. Muskies, at least in some areas, are a native species to Minnesota and therefore probably pre-date the introduction of the sport of spearing to Minnesota.

You are correct sir.

I apologize

10,000 years ago in northern lakes of Minnesota.

I am not sure how long ago in the current Muskie lakes.

Infighting is one of the ways that organizations go after each other.

We need to understand as SPORTSMEN there are many out there that don't want us to do any of this killing of "their animals"

It may not seem like it at the time but an attack on another form of hunting fishing or killing their animals is indeed an attack on the entire sport of hunting, fishing, trapping etc.

Organized, respectful discussions are acceptable but it is not acceptable to attack another sportsman’s method of enjoying the outdoors. It can and will be used against hunting and fishing in general.