• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes You Can't Spear

bassNspear

Spearing Prohibited

Winter spearing for northern pike is prohibited on the following lakes:

Baby* (Cass County)

Minnetonka (Hennepin and

Bald Eagle (Anoka, Ramsey and Carver Counties)

Washington Counties)

Moose* (Itasca County)

Beers* (Otter Tail County)

North Star * (Itasca County)

Big* (Beltrami County)

Owasso (Ramsey County)

Big Mantrap* (Hubbard County)

Peavey (Hennepin County)

Cass* (Beltrami and Cass)

Rebecca (Hennepin County)

Counties)

Rush * (Chisago County)

Cross and its Snake River Spider* (Itasca County)

Flowage* (Pine County)

Stieger (Carver County)

Deer* (Itasca County)

Sugar* (Wright County)

Eagle (Hennepin County)

Tanager (Hennepin County)

Forest (Hennepin County)

Wabedo* (Cass County)

Libbs (Hennepin County)

West Battle* (Otter Tail County)

Lobster* (Douglas County)

Mille Lacs (Aitkin, Crow Wing

and Mille Lacs Counties)

*Denotes lakes where no spearing is allowed at any time.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they say Rush I assume that is

Rush - MnDNR Inventory Number: 13006900

Chisago

I wonder does that also include?

East Rush - MnDNR Inventory Number: 13006901

Chisago

West Rush - MnDNR Inventory Number: 13006902

Chisago

When they say Rush I assume that is

Rush - MnDNR Inventory Number: 13006900

Chisago

I wonder does that also include?

East Rush - MnDNR Inventory Number: 13006901

Chisago

West Rush - MnDNR Inventory Number: 13006902

Chisago

yep. "Rush" means east and west.

No speary speary frown

It is all tied to the Musky.

They say it is a musky lake thats why. Went out there during ice-off 3 years ago fishing for sunnies in shallow and muskies would come through once in awhile, it was cool.

You are correct in the DNR's reason for no spearing. This makes no sense since it is illegal to spear muskies anyway. This is what the MN Darkhouse Assoc. is working to get rid of. They have gotten a few lakes opened back up to spearing that used to be closed. French Lake in Rice County is one that is a musky lake, but is now open to spearing. I hope we can get more back.

Problem is like a lake like Miltona, locals hate muskies and some are spearing them, then shaking them off to swim away mortally wounded and how can anyone enforce that. I have fished muskies 3 times on that water and was completely cursed out by some of the locals 2 of the 3 times and they don't care if you have children onboard or not. Some will yell at you constantly if you catch one you better dam well kill it ! It's a bad deal. I don't want to put a muskie ahead of any other fish, but there are pike in every MN lake so harpoon there.

Problem is like a lake like Miltona, locals hate muskies and some are spearing them, then shaking them off to swim away mortally wounded and how can anyone enforce that. I have fished muskies 3 times on that water and was completely cursed out by some of the locals 2 of the 3 times and they don't care if you have children onboard or not. Some will yell at you constantly if you catch one you better dam well kill it ! It's a bad deal. I don't want to put a muskie ahead of any other fish, but there are pike in every MN lake so harpoon there.

Sounds like someone should call TIP for harassment and or other illegal activity. Have you tried that avenue?

TIP should be called and those people should be arrested. The only thing that I disagree with is the notion that the only people against muskies are spearers. There are plenty of people that don't want muskies in their lakes because they weren't there naturally. I will agree that pike are in most lakes and muskies aren't in as many. The problem is that muskies are being stocked into more and more lakes at a great co$t to the DNR.

Spearchucker, the problem is the MDAA won't turn in their own people, especially in the rural areas. I can't tell you how often our people hear from the spearers about their "spear and release" program when it concerns muskies. I've had people in the Bemidji people flaunt it in my face and challenge me to do something about it (in a physical way ie come and fight).

Earlier this year when the 50"er was found out of Plant with spear marks the locals knocked on the doors of the other dark houses on the lake. The responses from the people in those houses was to be quiet about it as it happens all the time.

THAT is why there's a ban on the muskie lakes. As soon as the spearers start policing themselves we may someday come to a compromise. Until then no way.

Originally Posted By: spearchucker

The problem is that uskies are being stocked into more and more lakes at a great co$t to the DNR.

and an even greater cost to the fishery they're put into

Show me the data on how their costing the fishery. The DNR has presented data that show there's NO negative effect on the fish population. Stop spreading lies.