• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo Quickfish 6 or Clam Command Post?

DMAX

I have been looking at new cabin style fish houses they've recently come out with. I've seen a fair amount of positive remarks about the smaller ones but would like to hear from anyone having first hand expierence with the larger Eskimo Quickfish 6 or Clam Command post. I've got to imagine there is some practice involved with the setup but looks like quite the house for the price.

I just bought the QF 3 and will be getting it on the ice next week. I watched two sales reps setting up the QF 6, it only took them 30 seconds longer to set up than the smaller version.

Once it was set up I checked it out, was amazed how big it was. You could throw a party in there. Interior dimensions are 7 by 13 feet and only 38#.

setup is pretty easy. they are much easier to set up with a buddy, and I am betting most people don't take a house of that size out solo anyway. I have a QF6 and stood inside the Clam command post tonight at the ice fishing show... IMHO the QF6 has better poles. Otherwise, I think they are same and dimensions are only different by a few inches. So my vote is for the Eskimo Quickfish.

I own a quickfish 6 and it's great. Takes seconds to set-up and has tons of room. I've owned it for 2 or so years now and have never had any problems. However, one drawback is that it has no floor. To get around this I've started bringing a piece of rubber foam to lay down on the ice for my feet....seems to keep the toes warmer on those chilly days. I'm sure both houses are great to fish out of, but personally have only used the Eskimo.

I got a command post. I dearly wanted a quickfish 6, but they were sold out everywhere I checked and they wouldn't be restocked until after dec 25th is the word I kept hearing.

Apart from the pole deal theat Johnny mentioned, the quickfish 6 has windows that velcro in place so they can be replaced if torn or cracked. I didn't compare the poles that well, figured the clams were just as good - I actually read somewhere that they were better, go figure?! Hopefully I can checkout both units at the ice show today, maybe return the clam (still in the box) and sit on my hands till I can find an Eskimo if I think there will be an issue.

I have a Quickfish 6, this is our 4th season with it. While I have really enjoyed it, and love the space, this is probably the final year for it. The canvas around the hubs has started to deteriorate, and the hubs are pulling through. We have attempted to patch them, so hopefully they hold up for another year. It is a bummer.

I really like to be able to stand up in the unit, have 6 holes(easily), carry it on my back and the setup is super easy. The worst part is putting in the spikes on a cold day, but the adrenaline is usually pumping so it isn't bad.

Will I buy another....hmmm....hard to say, I wish it would have lasted more than 4 years(about 25 trips fishing).

I have the Command Post 6. Its been on the ice for a couple of weeks as my perm...a couple of hundred yards from my house. Its performed well in winds up to 20 mph...and I love the room.

Moving the unit and setting up can take about an hour....particularly rescrewing in all the ice anchors. But still, the large pop-ups are great for up to four fishermen...

HCS I would contact Artisam Inc. The maker of eskimo. Let them know about the tearing and you will be surprised. I had the first model as a prototype and we found out fast that there needed to be some reinforcing done. The new houses are much sturdier around the poles. Call them and talk to someone there. They may either repair it or replace it give them a shot.

To make the set-up a little easier for the QF 6 I bring along a few bungie cords. I just park the truck or wheeler withing strap distance from the shack and lay a few chunks of heavy snow or items from the truckbox on the other side(s). I drill my holes before hand so I don't have to choke on the auger exaust...setup outside of drilling is about 5 mins. Haven't had any problems yet(maybe 20 set-ups this way), but I am always worried a gust of wind will hit the side(possibly collape a pole) so I usually put the heater towards the middle of the shack. Also, make sure not to lay any flooring down on the wet ice if you plan on keeping it...used to use cardboard until I did just that one day. Now I bring a small role of gym-type rubber matting w/ me and throw some snow down first. As far as heating issues...I've fished in some pretty cold conditions (probably -30 w/ windchill) and have never been really cold. Inside walls of the shack can get wet though so I usually leave the house set up in my garage for a few days when I get back.

HCS I would contact Artisam Inc. The maker of eskimo. Let them know about the tearing and you will be surprised. I had the first model as a prototype and we found out fast that there needed to be some reinforcing done. The new houses are much sturdier around the poles. Call them and talk to someone there. They may either repair it or replace it give them a shot.

I actually went to the ice fishing show yesterday and talked to them about it. They gave me a name and said I should send it in. I am hesitant because I want to use it over new years....but I will call them tomorrow. They seemed very helpful and wanted to work with me, so hopefully it works out. I like their products a lot and try to support them when I can(my wife is from Cumberland). Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like the quickfish 6 might be a bit more popular around here. I have a buddy that is looking for a command post that I may tell to look at the quickfish 6. Anyone know where they have these models in stock in the metro?

Upgraded from QF3 to the QF6, bought it from Joe's in St. Paul on 12/5/08 - Thanks Jay.

Upon inspection I noticed the quality upgrade from last years Green QF3: The stitching is pristine at all hub points, doors, and trim. Confident it will last for years. Fish-catching Saturday and Sunday came up with a S.T. of ideas to make it an original. 1 modification will be to make new windows. This year’s window plastic feels stiffer and 2 of them cracked under general use pulling them off and on. .75mm Lexan will replace all windows and will stowed separately inside the bag. The bag size is perfect and the added Velcro strap to hold the folded tent like an umbrella strap is genius, eliminating the back in the bag trick. This Velcro strap will migrate to a belt as customization continues.

Several on-ice poker games already planned as the tent easily holds 6 at a round card table, and with 2 doors, standing up to stretch without discomfort will be pleasant. It was 20 degrees or less both days of fish-catching and 1 Mr. Heater provided enough heat to remove layers while inside after rescuing tip-ups. One MAJOR post-erection from the tent is the power to withstand wind-gusts. Both shacks have de-winced my face during amazingly strong gusts and have yet to experience a Minnesota winter wind that could topple a well staked QF. This years T.N. ice-stakes got you locked. Wide threads make for; easy in/easy out. For those worried about freezing to the ice an extra torque in will set you free out.

The carrying: if you are less than 6 feet tall, or real skinny or fat bout to be skinny the back-pack style straps are designed for the larger than average big and tall farm boy type. Not a problem if you clasp a carabiner to hold the straps together across your chest. As the ice gets thicker this will feel like pulling a bag of Honma clubs outta your golf cart to swing-up upon on-lookers. I vote QF6…

I sent mine in last year and let them know i needed it in a week. the next week I called on wednsday and asked if it was ready and they said the stitching place was behind. I told them I was leaving for red lake and needed it back the next day UPS stopped by and dropped off a brand new one. There was a note inside that read " sorry for the inconvienience. This one is our floor model so it has been setup before. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you." So since they couldn't sew mine for me in time I got a brand new one. They have always been good to me. I have owned 2 flip overs and now 3 quick fish houses and 2 ice augers. There costumer service has always been great!!

I have the Ice Cube 4 made by Eastman and am in the 3 season with it. Holds up in 40 mph winds well if you use all the straps....and I added a coupld of extra holes for the skirt to help keep things down...but high winds no problem. Will never go to a sled ice shack again. Mobile and light fits in you vehicle take it in the house when you get home it dries right out! I have been extremely happy with it, and recently have seen the Esikmo QuickFish3 and love what I see. Superior fabric and improvements over the ICE cube 4. I recently saw the Quickfish6 and you can use it as a carport...it is huge.

Same Quality construction as QFish3 and room..Run your tip ups inside your shack if you want! I am selling my old Shappel 4000

shack and purchasing either a quickfish6 or command post Clam.

Seen the Clam base camp and it is quality construction too.

Hope the Command is similar in quality too. Like the aspect of the clam is it is all one level and that is important to someone 6'4"...this may be my deciding factor. the clam is a taller shack than the quickfish 6.Can't go wrong with either. Ice Cube 4 is great especially the storage bag vs the quickfish3 Hope this helps.

I sent mine in last year and let them know i needed it in a week. the next week I called on wednsday and asked if it was ready and they said the stitching place was behind. I told them I was leaving for red lake and needed it back the next day UPS stopped by and dropped off a brand new one. There was a note inside that read " sorry for the inconvienience. This one is our floor model so it has been setup before. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you." So since they couldn't sew mine for me in time I got a brand new one. They have always been good to me. I have owned 2 flip overs and now 3 quick fish houses and 2 ice augers. There costumer service has always been great!!

Thats awesome...gotta like a company who cares about their customers like this!!!