• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DTV reception in Cohasset, MN ?

jtroop

Question

Anyone have any luck ? I've connected the converter box to my existing roof antenna but when the converter box does it's "autoscan" it doesn't find any channels. Any solutions/idea's out there ?

12 answers to this question

What you see is going to be a big issue this february when the broadcast switches to digital. Most (but not all) of the digital signals will be broadcast on the UHF bands and the old YAGI type VHF antennas are often only marginal when it comes to gain in those frequencies. To add to the problem, the higher frequency UHF signals attenuate more over distance and you may be seeing this lower signal strength.

I evaluated my antenna system last summer (I'm about 60 miles from the Shoreview broadcast farm) and I needed to add a dedicated UHF antenna to my system. I bought a Winegard HD9075P (google this) which allowed me to couple my old antenna to it's hookup and use my existing coax downlead. I can now receive all of the digital channels with gain to spare. It sounds like you may need to do something similar.

Hydro - If you're looking at the Shoreview tower you're probably going to need a VHF antenna after the switchover to pick up Fox and KARE since they're moving back to the VHF band after the switchover.

I rescanned this evening and am receiving 13-1 and 13-2 with medium signal strength (according to the built in meter). Not exactly confidence inspiring as far as reliability. After looking at the Antennaweb HSOforum I suspect (like hydro said) I'll need to learn more about some directional UHF antenna's. Things used to be easier...

The other issue is that you have signals coming from various directions. Right now channels 29, 9, and 13 are about the strongest channels you're going to be able to pick up it appears. 29 and 13 are coming from the NE but 9 is coming from the NW.

After the conversion channels 29, 31, 13, 9, and 12 will be the strongest signals.

Limitout,

One of the features of the Winegard antenna is that it will accept a connection from another antenna. I still have my VHF antenna mounted on the same mast and the lead from that antenna hooks up to the Winegard input. The signals are combined at that point and a single downlead goes to the house. Another nice feature is that the terminations are weathertight to reduce the probability of poor connections due to corrosion.

Jtroop,

How clean are the connections on your antenna? Corrosion there can attenuate what signal the antenna can pick up. Also, do you have hills and trees between you and the broadcast site? UHF signals are very susceptable to objects in the signal path.

Oh, ok. I have a Wingard antenna as well but it's UHF only. I wish I would have known KARE and FOX were going back to the VHF band because I would have got something different three years ago. Oh well. Might be time to just give Dish Network a call and tell them to add the locals to my programming subscription. Then I'd get the program guide anyway which is nice for setting the DVR.

There are a lot of tree's in the area. The existing antenna is a VHF/UHF combo but I don't remember the mfg/model. I suppose I'll have to climb up on the roof to rotate the antenna in different directions - but not until the temp goes up a bit, huh ?