• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Official "What I got at the St. Paul Ice Show" Thread

Glockwinger

Went to the Ice Show and as usual was not disappointed! Got my Arctic Armor Red suit, a slush bin for the wheel house, and a subscription to Outdoor News. Talked to Matt from Thorne Brothers, and got to meet the legendary Johnny P. as well as some others. Now I can't wait to get out on the ice!

So what did you get?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also talked to matt at thorne bros, hes a buddy of mine and one [PoorWordUsage] of a fisherman. I got a auger extension because my buddy finally took his back from me after 2 years. A charger for my Vexilar because I searched my garage and I must have lost mine, who knows where. and a new MuskyHunter sticker for my truck because my last truck had that sticker but is now totaled.

Ended up buying an aqua view camera and tripod for it, some Artic Armor gloves, picked up a few northland jigs , about a dozen or so Ice buster bobbers, and a center console for the fishtrap, spoke with Team Otter a bit amongst many others, great show and some good deals, seemed to me like people were buying which is a good sign. Checked out the Dreamshacks and now I can see why there called Dreamshacks, very nice houses with all the bells and whistles

I think this is going to turn into a "who talked to Matt" thread. Yeah, I stopped by there too. I bought a beer. That was it!!! I fully expected to walk out of there with quite a few things. I stocked up over the last month and really couldn't think of much I needed beyond what I already have.

Just got a call from a friend. Sounds like the ice show is not as well attended by vendors as in years past. Is this true?

From what I remember from last year, the same booths seemed to be in the same places. There wasn't the folks from the ice fishing extravaganza (since it isn't going on this year). There maybe wasn't quite as many flip over shacks, but other than that it seemed similar to last year. There was quite a few people there for a Friday. Like was already said, it looked like people were buying, so that is good.

I finally got to meet and talk to Dave Genz, that was great, then i met Ted Takasaki, scored some new liny jigs, just then the bikini team walked by and my trip was then worth all the money in my wallet. Great show, tons of fun. (BIKINI TEAM, AWSOME)

It was great meeting up with a few FMer's out there. ShawnnyB, his friend and I went down this afternoon for a few hours. Met up with Matt J. at TB, tried to convince Shawn's friend to buy a Marcum over the FL-20 with Johnny P, and chatted with Northerlander at the Otter booth about this that and the other thing. It was a great time had by all! Hey, it's not every day you can force your way into a drop down at the show. My trick, bring a kid (thanks Shawn!)

I walked out with a Thorne Bros. Sweet Thing Plus rod and a handful of Northland's new ice jigs. I really didn't see any "deals" being offered though, which kind of bothered me. I know I paid more for those Northland jigs than I would have at Fleet Farm.

I agree with metrojoe. I expected some more deals. I got a Vex hat and some rod savers. I looked at the AA and even tried it on, but will probably just order it off of this site, now that I know the size I need. I kinda want the HSO patch.

FLaker

There not going to simply give the deals away, but if you ask you'll get a discount usually. I negotiated on every purchase and if they weren't willing to move I simply didn't buy, except for the Artic Armor gloves I bought, but I didn't bother to ask on those as I get great service all year long from RFO so I didn't even mess with it. Reeds and Thorne bros both gave discounts on everything I purchased, including the northland jigs.

I got a few beers, a neat little gadget for the camera called a "Steady Stand", a Thorne Bro's Sweetthing plus and a Tica SE500 and a trip with Hunter Windfield's on Mille Lacs. Not sure that I got a deal on any of them but I'm happy with every purchase...even the $6 beers:)

I picked up a Strikemaster lazer Mag express, Marcum LX5 and the marcum B/W flat screen camera from Reeds. The beat the best price of others by 5.00 on two items and were cheaper on the other. Since I bought 3 big items they ate the sales tax. Did much better than I could find prior to the show. Would have only bought two items otherwise. This replaced the items that were stolen from me lately.

I spent my time talking with the famous Jonny P and a few others. I also spent some time at the Arctic Armor booth, the MarCum booth and talked to Jason Mitchell and picked up one of Jason's new combo's. They look like one of the nicer combo's out there as most don't offer a decent reel.

I went there all gung ho to buy an Arctic Armor camo suit. I just couldn't justify spending that much. I wanted to buy it, but the material on the camo suit didn't seem like it would hold up in what I 4 wheel in. Lots of sticks, running over trees, etc.

I bought an ice armour suit, auger guard for an eskimo, a new gaf hook, a hooded sweatshirt and am going to book a sleeper house out of macs twin bay for my fantasy football league.

extravaganza (since it isn't going on this year).

The fishapalooza may not be on for this year but I am pretty sure that the extravaganza is still on for this year. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I meant the big one that had a booth last year at the show that was from Forest Lake that sold raffle tickets.

... and talked to Jason Mitchell and picked up one of Jason's new combo's. They look like one of the nicer combo's out there as most don't offer a decent reel.

Did he have the new trout spinning rod at the show???? I am going on Sunday, cant wait, never miss it.

I Picked up some Amsoil Saber

Frabil long handled ice skimmer

Cutco "cheese" skeletonized knife...scary sharp lifetime warranty on all of there stuff. I have 2 Cutco fillet knifes and the deer knife and love them!

Found a cheap knock off Leech Lake fillet knife for $15 some mystery stainless steel but super flexible and sharpened on both sides. If it works OK if not I'll throw it in the toolbox. Picked up some new double hook jigs from some Stillwater guys. You can run a minnow head in front and plastic on the rear hook...looks interesting.

Strikemaster was selling bibs and jackets for $75 each and sweatshirts for $10 like hot cakes. Showing me not everyone can flip for $200-$300 ice suits.

I really enjoyed talking to the old timer selling shadow boxes of old hunting/fishing stuff! What a nice guy!!!

The big guys will match prices and you can get a deal by finding the right salesman and asking for a discount! I always ask for a deal and most of the time get one weather its a free hat or a cash discount! Most of the brand name vendors have free swag to give away.

I think most guys highlights of the show Friday was the Bikini Team walking around. It was funny watching all the necks snapping around. They definitely gather a lot of well deserved attention! I heard on KQ they have a calendar this year grin

Interesting looking at the different quality of drop down ice houses. Lots of nice stuff.

I did see a lot of higher than store pricing on many things. I'm glad I went pricing Thursday before the show.

Ferny

I got a sore back and sore feet(volunteered to work the Bass Lake Fishing Contest booth and trout pond on Friday) But on the bright side I picked up a new Digital battery gauge and flex light for the Vex. I'll be there all day Sunday hope to squeeze in more shopping time then.