• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1972 Yammi 433

B@ssDoctor

Hi All,

I am not a snowmobiler, but my parents recently gave me a 72 433 with 170 original miles on it. All original and has never seen daylight while stored. Windshield is sparkling clear w/chrome and the hood looks like it just cam from the factory. 2 tears in the side panel of the seat is the only attention it needs. Runs like a champ.

It is a model EWB and has electric start and oil injection.

I am somewhat hesitant to drive this as it is in mint condition and don't want to rack up miles if it is worth something. Does anyone own one of these that can provide input or can someone guess how much money I am sitting on (ha, ha).

Just looking for general information on what kind of creature this is.

They really need to come up with a vintage snowmobile NADA for a quick reference.

Vintage sleds, like vintage cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. If it is in as good of shape as you say there is definitely someone out there that would want it.

We have a 292 of the same year that my nephew was riding in the ditch a couple years ago and had a guy pull him over and try to buy it on the spot. This one had only 327 miles but its not mint either.

This bad boy?

For pricing, thats a tough one. The right buyer, someone who really, really wants this particular sled with those kind of miles may pay decent money. I don't know... $500? $600? $700 its tough to say. I think you are over $500 but not sure how much more. I would say its not a highly sought after model, has a very very common and available motor in it as well. Like I said... right buyer... who knows what the sale price could end up at based on the great condition it sounds to be in.

The vintage snowmobile world pretty much revolves around high performance, factory race sleds. Thats where the big money is with old machines, where we could be talking $3,000 to $8,000 for certain models.

1972_YAMAHA_SW_EW_433B_6A.jpg

Wish I knew of someone who was sitting on something like that. I have a neighbor (widow) with an old Scorpion in the garage. I know one ski is bent, but I don't know how many miles are on it.

Would be fun just to putz around on.

For pricing, thats a tough one. The right buyer, someone who really, really wants this particular sled with those kind of miles may pay decent money. I don't know... $500? $600? $700 its tough to say. I think you are over $500 but not sure how much more. I would say its not a highly sought after model, has a very very common and available motor in it as well. Like I said... right buyer... who knows what the sale price could end up at based on the great condition it sounds to be in.

The vintage snowmobile world pretty much revolves around high performance, factory race sleds. Thats where the big money is with old machines, where we could be talking $3,000 to $8,000 for certain models.

Bring it to the VSCA (Vintage Snowmobile Club of America) event on Waconia. The largest event in the nation. Put a sign on it that says make offer and I think you will know what you have.

"WACONIA 2009 - THE MIDWEST RIDE-IN" WILL BE HELD JANUARY 31 AND FEBRUARY 1, 2009 AT WACONIA MINNESOTA. SHOW, SWAP MEET, OVAL/LEMANS RACING, DRAG RACING, TRAIL RIDE, LOUD SNOWMOBILE CONTEST AND AUCTION. WACONIA WILL CELEBRATE 50 YEARS OF DOO'IN WITH THE BOMBARDIER SKI-DOO AS THE "FEATURE SNOWMOBILE".

Man, I almost missed this thread grin

I seen Yammi and 72 and just passed it by. I just opened it and seen what it is about.

One of my first sled's I owned was an SW433B 72'. Man, I rode that thing all around Sherburne Co. when I was a kid grin. Then in my early teens I restored the sled and went threw every thing. Motor, chain case, carbs, susp… I even up dated the front leaf springs with shock, which was big back then grin.

One day I was heading up to Nowthen and the track broke in 2. At that point in my life, I needed something newer, so I tore the sled apart and sold everything except the hood and a couple other items to get money for a newer 89 SRV wink.

I still have the hood today grin. I had it painted metal maroon, retained the factor original stickers and some custom numbers were put on it. I also cut the windshield in half and spray painted the inside of the windshield “black” to give it a chopped/smoked look cool!

I should take an inventory of the parts I still have for this sled and get my hood (all this stuff is still at Mom and Dad’s up in the garage attic grin).

Good sled, fast and fun!

Your's would look like this, correct?

SW433B2.jpg

You can get a ton of info about servicing these sleds on-line. Also I came across quite a few OEM parts still for sale at one site. Add in on-line action's and other for sale sites, I am sure you can still find most parts for this sled wink.

This give you an idea of what is out their. This was one of many schematics I found. Their was pretty much a schematic for every part of the sled.

SW433B3.jpg

I do not think the sled is worth much if anything though. More for memories and a run around the yard with the kids. I have been watching local sleds for sale sites lately pretty close. I have seen some excellent condition vintage sleds sold for almost nothing. Keep an eye out if you want one, to go to these clubs and events. They are out their still.

Wow thanks for the information SB. I finally got the sled running the way I want it last night so I think I will just keep it and putz around. Besides the track, were there any other "known" issues with this sled besides the carbs?

As far as further issues, really no issues than any other 72' model year sled would have. Maintenance, rough ride and the smell of a 70's two stroke grin

I know I ran the oil injection system for a while, but replaced the pump once and then reverted back to mixing the gas towards the end. I just did not trust the injection system. The pump sat on the side of the block and had wheel of sorts on top that spun while the eng. was on. This was located under the single carburetor. I think Surface was correct in it being a Keihin carb… The one I had looked like this: SW433BCarb.jpg

I rebuilt it a couple times. It had no bowl, just a series of round disks and diaphragms under the air horn area. It was just like a puzzle.

The other issue I recall is a cracking tunnel right down by your left boot, where the belly pan met the bulk head. When I was given the sled by my father who was in no way, shape or form the type pf guy who wanted to fix snowmobiles, this crack was tiny and did not really pose and issue. After a hand full of years riding the sled, it traveled across the running board and up the tunnel. But!! It still ran. I think it put excess stress on the track and caused it to break, that or I just worn the heck out of that track grin.

Besides those items, you just had your regular wear and tear and maintenance that was done. A broken thing here and their, but I was riding the thing, not just tooling around the yard, which ment work in those days grin.

Good luck with your machine. Lets see some picture of it? If you have any, you can e-mail them to me at my addy belwo!