Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swedishpimple

Weight of ATV's on Ice....Concern

13 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about ATV's and Ice Safety. I wonder how many guys don't have any idea about what their machine weighs??

Most Import Big Bore machines dry weigh real close to 600# and the domestics are considerbly heavier. Throw a 300# man on there load her up with gas...pull a 150# portable filled with junk..throw a buddy on the back of the machine and away you go.

Then your other buddy pulls up along side of you and bingo......you now have as much weight there as a small car.

With more and more big machines and side by sides I hope guys are not looking at the old DNR chart that shows 5" for a snomobile or ATV and taking that as gosspel and not using common sense.

I have seen lots of guys learn the hard hay that ATV's are heavier than snowmobiles when they are sitting along the side of the road with flat tires on their 2 place snowmobile trailers loaded with 2 ATV's and extra junk.

Just food for thought.

Most of my Buddies are not professional football players.

I do not go fishing with the Williams Boys.

laugh Thats pertty funny

Yeah...I go about 325# and I don't have many friends under 250#. Guess we just grow a little bigger "Up Nort".

It is good to fish with big guys....have them check the ice for you. If it holds me it will hold 2 of you.....

Are you saying you don't want to be my buddy?

Yeah...I go about 325# and I don't have many friends under 250#. Guess we just grow a little bigger "Up Nort".

It is good to fish with big guys....have them check the ice for you. If it holds me it will hold 2 of you.....

Now that you mention it, wana go fishing this weekend smirk

About three years ago and around the same time in December a guy with a four wheeler with tracks on it went through the ice on vermilion trying to get to gold island. They had to deploy a remote submarine to find him witch they did two days latter in 30 f.o.w. Its to early to drive wheelers on the ice!

With a full load my atv is just over 1500 pounds. Pack a bunch of slush and snow and it and it would be more of coarse. Now pull a shanty behind that and you definitely need some thicker ice. When I roll across the ice during early season i have 150 of cable clipped to my hitch and on the other end a boat dock bouy. At least if I hit a weak spot I have a chance at getting the rig out myself.

My nissan Sentra weighs about as much as 4 wheelers. I know when I see those on the ice I have about 2 weeks till I am good.

That is a good thing! I have to wrench on the fourwheeler and both sleeds and weed through my icefishing gear before i wet a line.I think i will stay till thursday.