• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost my buddy... looking to share love with another

JHays1

I have posted on this forum a few times before regarding training questions for my lab puppy. Well unfortunately I experienced one of the largest tragedies of my life. I had a house fire recently while I was at work and my pup didnt make it out in time. She died of smoke inhalation and I have been dealing with it ever since. It has been harder than I would have imagined to get over my little girl. She was 11 months old and had just gotten through with her first hunting season. I am new to training a dog but something must have clicked with her because she did great exceeded every expectation. Well unfortunately here I am now without my buddy. A great buddy and one that was giving to me originally to help me deal with the passing of my mother. I am starting to get better slowly and feel that I am ready to share some love with a new buddy.

I am thinking of getting a female black lab from either Smith Farms Labs or Captains Kennels in Lakeshore MN. Does anyone have anything to say about these breeders.

Ideally I am looking for a very calm mellow dossile female black lab as that is exactly what my last one was and she was great. The best friend a guy could have. I am looking for a housedog/duck hunter and occassional upland dog. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else out there who has recently lost a dog. I feel for you. These are hard times!

first off sorry to hear the bad news, hang in. I lost my lab at five years. I don,t know anything about the breeders, but I just want to let you know from my own experience, that no matter what your new dog is going to be different in many ways from your previous pup. So try not to comepare the two, and give your new dog the time, even so its really tuff at first. Good luck with the new pup.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pup.

I bought exactly what you are looking for from Smith Farms about four years ago, black female lab, Maggie. If you take a look at the puppy forum I have a picture of Maggie there. If you buy a pup from Smiths you won't be dissapointed. I can't say enough good about their operation and their dogs. They are great breeders and they probably have exactly what you want.

Good luck with your search for a new pup.

Hays,

Thanks for the post. I know what a loss of a great friend feels like. It really hurts.

Your post brought back many good memories of dogs that I have had. It so hard when you lose them but we have to enjoy them as much as we can when they are our buddies.

Getting a new pup will be helpful. She will have her own personality and you soon will have a great new friend.

Good luck and enjoy that new pup.

tweed

Contact Joe Pesick up at his operation in Brook Park ,Mn.He has the royal british lab bloodline and my bro-in-law has one...one heck of a dog,and Joe is one heck of a guy.Has a whole breeding/training/hunting operation there,I was there last weekend,1st class all the way

That's tough. I nearly lost my 3year old black lab last summer. He was playing fetch with a neighbor and the stick punctured a quarter size hole in the back of his throat. Luckily I noticed he was breathing a little rough and some blood in his water when he took a drink. He made it, but the vet said he wouldn't have made it through the night. Very scary.

My sympathies and good luck on finding your next best friend. IMHO, a good dog is the most loyal companion anyone can have.

CJH

If you are looking for a new dog i would STRONGLY suggest round lake kennels...they bring out some of the best dogs in the state and even the midwest. With many champion dogs you are sure to get a good new pup that will be easy to train

If you are looking for a new dog i would STRONGLY suggest round lake kennels...they bring out some of the best dogs in the state and even the midwest. With many champion dogs you are sure to get a good new pup that will be easy to train