• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

custom rod xmas gift

shnelson

Hey guys,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so i'll give it a shot here. I'm looking to get my father in law a muskie rod for xmas, I'd like to keep it within the $80-100 range if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get some words inscribed at the base, '09 is kind of a comeback season for him chasin the big pigs so I'd like to set him up with something versatile and screaming sentimental value =].

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Thanks!

I agree with dtro, brother. I've been building rods for 20 years, at least, and nowadays there are pretty darn good factory rods for sale at relatively inexpensive prices. I'd take a look at any of the bigger sporting goods stores in the state for rod sales - for that kind of money, you'd be surprised what you might find.

Building a rod is not cheap. Good blanks start around $75, minimum, and can go up towards $300 really fast. Guides(carbide $2-$5 each), reel seats($15), cork for handles($25) adds up fast, then there's the labor involved. I try to make 30% on my rods - if the parts cost $100, I'd charge at least $130. And once you fish with a high-end blank, anything of less quality just won't cut the cheese...so now we're into some serious cha-ching.

You can find great factory rods at reputable stores for under a hundred bucks. Buy it and find somebody to inscribe it for you. A custom built rod would cost a bit more than $100. Good luck and what a great gift.

You guys make a lot of sense - I guess I was never really intending on a complete custom rod built from a blank and all. I threw custom in there to refer to the inscribing, which after looking around at t-bro's I'd be looking at $140 minimum. Do you guys have any recommendations for a factory rod based on the criteria listed above?

Thanks again!

I build custom rods for a hobby, and get a good price on my components and I have close to that into a rod in components alone. I don't think you are going to get a full scale custom built for you for under $140 like others have said.

If you are looking to maybe build one your self you could probably get it done for that with decent quality components. Check out the rod building/lure building forum for ideas if you are up for doing it your self.

edit Ok..I was writing this as you were posting your last post

shnelson,

Gary Wick up in the north metro has rod building classes and one of them is with a muskie rod.

I took his class through Hastings Comm. Ed. and made myself a muskie rod and then inscribed it myself.

Cost a couple years ago was maybe $115, probably a little more now.

You could always pick a regular rod and have thorn bros add an inscription, I think they could do that and it would still be personalized.

That is probably going to be your best bet. I think it would still mean the same thing to your father, and I think that is a killer idea for a gift.

Originally Posted By: YourBobersDown
You could always pick a regular rod and have thorn bros add an inscription, I think they could do that and it would still be personalized.

That is probably going to be your best bet. I think it would still mean the same thing to your father, and I think that is a killer idea for a gift.

This sounds like the best route, I'll have to swing by there after work this week and check them out. Thanks for all of your input!

I got my dad a shimano compre a couple years ago from thornes and had them put his name on it. Shows that you didnt just grab one off the rack but thought about them while making the purchase.

I made it in there today and picked up a shimano for him. They were glad to do the inscribing for a very reasonable fee - I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I pick it up in a few days. Thanks again for all of your input, if I hadn't received the amount of responses that were here I probably would have scrapped the idea!

I was able to make it in and pick it up tonight, the guys over there did a great job and have a pretty fast turn around time!

I'm pretty excited about it, It's going to be tough not giving it to him early (and tough disguising a 7'6" pole as a non obvious present!). Just gotta hold out for a few more days...