• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hyfax 101! How To Install Hyfax On Your Flip Over Style Ice Shack!

Shack

Question

I figure I would share this with you guys and gals!

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

If their is any interest, I will share further "how to" videos, like assembling as flip over shack and other things.

If their is no interest, I will not waste yours or my time grin

I know most know how to do this stuff, but I figure some out their have not done this and would like to know how.

Thanks! smile

Thanks! Very timely for me - I am going to install some on my smaller Otter - was wondering exactly what it took - and now you took the mystery out. Do you like the Hyfax? Do you think it makes much of a difference?

Thanks again!!

I have that same sled and hyfax, and going to do it this weekend. Good tip on the bit size being smaller smile I did my medium sled last year, and it took two of us to really go at it fast. This way one person can do it faster! Thanks shack, good info.

I might try to do a movie similar for doing impellor on Merc motor later this winter, but I have a face for radio wink

Thanks for the how-to shack! I just picked up one of those sleds and was wondering how much of a difference the hyfax runners make? I unfortunately have to pull that bad boy by hand with a clam 460+goodies on it so if they make any difference my back will surely appreciate it. Speaking as someone who hasn't had a boat or an ice shack growing up, these videos are full of valuable information. I say keep em' coming! wink

Great vid, shack, but is that a "Rental" garage? Where's all your man stuff? I mean I don't see tools or even a broom. hum must be one of those E-Z renral units.

I guess you've never seen Shack's garage whistle

Thanks Guys and Gals!

I guess we will put up some more grin

I would also recommend getting a hex head bit for your driver instead of using a wrench and zip the screws right in.

Yes, this is a good idea. I would suggest using a drill with an adjustable drilling strength and set it light enough to drive the screw/bolt threw the Hyfax and into the sled, but soft enough to stop the screw/bolt when it bottoms out. If the setting on the drill is too hard/strong, when it bottoms out it will spin the screw/bolt and strip out the threads you have made into the plastic. Call me lazy, but I do not want to sit and have to hold each screw from the back side with an allen wrench and tighten on the up side with a ratchet. That would not be fun. You would almost need two people and flip the sled on it’s side.

Also, if you are like me, you have a drawer full of 1/8" allen wrenches. Sacrifice one and cut off about and 1 1/2" or 2" and chuck it up in the drill. Or, if you are lucky enough to have a 1/8" allen bit in a drill bit set, all the better.

Have fun guys when putting them on this weekend.

I think Hyfax is the way to go, hands down. For easy moving on ice and snow, controlling fish tailing of the sled and just gets your sled off the ice an inch or more for less freezing to the ice and easy pull out when you move.

If you spend the "big" money on a flip over sled style shack, the Hyfax is just a small (cheap) added feature to help out on the ice and make things last longer.

Great video Shackbash.

I recently assembled my new Otter Lodge, and the hyfax kit was the most time consuming process, however I did it alone. With another person the job is much quicker and easier. But, it is worth it. The hyfax protects the sled and it seems to perform better while in tow.

I used a smaller size drill bit to thread the bolts into the plastic sled on the first bolts because the hyfax needed to make the bend at the front of the sled. Without doing that, I would have really suffered holding the hyfax down, putting a bolt through the hole and fasten the lock nut inside the sled.

Quote:
Not sure if the "ease of pulling" has or can be quantified

I will second that.

The "ease of pulling" may be more said for behind a truck, wheeler or sled. I have noticed when pulling a friend’s sled with Hyfax, verses my old sled with out Hyfax a big reduction in fish tailing when pulling with a rope behind a sled or truck. I would say the sharp edges of the Hyfax bite the ice better and keep it straight.

I am sure if you put two sleds side by side and attached a scale to the hitch or rope and then pulled, it would take less pulling pressure to move the Hyfax sled. Not much diff., but ia sure a pound or so grin. I would not say the Hyfax has more or less resistance surface, but if you want to look at it this way, it would be like trying to glide across the ice with boots on, verses ice skates (I know it is extreme, but you get the picture).

Wearing of the sled is the major reason for Hyfax, first and foremost.

You can get Hyfax for your sled at

!!!Click Here For Otter Outdoors Hyfax Page!!!!!!!

Or like I did and Drive down to Thorne Bro's in Fridley. They have many in stock for all sizes. If you have an Otter Team Wild sled, the Otter Brand Hyfax will fit. I for get the size/model number for my 3 man series, but it was the 3rd largest set out of the 4 different sets of Hyfax Otter has offers. That or can contact Team Wild at www.Team-Wildoutdoors.com

A big double "that or", you can get them from the Ice Show in St. Paul this weekend. I am sure Thorne Bro's will have a discount sale going on, but many other vendors will have them also and I am sure on sale wink. If you going to the show, that is where I would buy them wink.