Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnMickish

New Thorne Brothers rod.

24 posts in this topic

I don't know if I'm supposed to say anything or not but I got to play with a yet to be released prototype rod that Thorne will start making in the next few weeks.

All I'm going to say is there is nothing on the market like it, and if I where a bluegill I'd be scared, very scared.

Well you said it. Now you got me wondering how "there is nothing on the market like it".

Hopefully they will have samples at the ice show this weekend. That would be an ideal time to showcase the new rod IMO.

I believe as of last night there was a total of one built. It's cool, and so light that if it didn't have a reel on it it would probably blow away. grin

It is the best rod I have ever seen. I saw it about a month ago and told Matt to have the guys tie one up for me. Just think, a combination of a panfish sweetheart and a power noodle. I will be picking one up soon I hope. The most detail I have ever seen though. It will be my christmas present to myself this year.

I think they mentioned it to me, but since I was too focused on getting my baitcasting ice rods it basically went out the other ear.

So is it glass tipped panfish? I feel my wallet emptying as I type.. eek

I agree.

< makes not to self, self don't go near T.B. until AFTER X-MAS. lol

Originally Posted By: fishwater
So is it glass tipped panfish? I feel my wallet emptying as I type.. eek

I agree.

No, it is not a glass tipped panfish, but a very special panfish. Has to be seen to be appreciated. Takes handcrafted to a whole new level.

I'd like to feild(ice) test this rod for them with matt johnson up in the NW angle for some slab crappies!!!!

I hope they will let me do this... 8/ ????

So matt, if you see this hit me up...

Ha

Jkaufer 24 @ hot mail . Com

Yes, it takes handcrafted to the extereme. I haven't had the opportunity to use it or hold it but I know what it is and the way it came to be. Should be an awesome work when it gets here!

I'm not going to tell the story of how this particular blank came about, but when they said it takes HANDcrafting to a new level, they werent kidding. I learned how the rod actions that we all came to love where developed and I have more appreciation for these rod builders than I ever had before. Human craftsmanship, that's what separates the best from the rest.

I don't think they have this new rod at the ice show. At least I didn't see it. I did come home with my first Thorne Bros. rod. I got the Sweet Thing Plus. Hopefully I'll get to try it out this weekend.

Looks like the cat is out-of-the-bag on this one huh smile Guess I shouldn't have shown it at my last seminar wink

Thorne Bros is indeed working on a new custom rod. I've had a prototype of the rod for last month or so and I will admit... this is my all-time favorite rod, period. It took us a long time messing around with blanks to find the exact action we wanted. It's the quickest, yet most sensitive blank I've ever touched. Not to mentioned probably the lightest rod you'll ever put in your hand for this action and length.

A few hints... highest-spun solid graphite blank... fuji recoil guides... titanium tip-top... highest grade, minimal pore cork... this baby makes me smile as I type this smile

They are going to come stock-standard at 26-inches, but we will be able to build them up to 30 inches if need-be (and of course smaller than 26 too).

This rod, without a doubt, just set the new bar for panfish rods smile

I'll post more as things progress...

Sounds sweet[heart], and expensive. Any idea on pricing and availability?

I would love recoil guides on an ice rod, as I am always nervous about my eyes with all my combos I try to get in my rod case.

Keep up the great work Thorne Bros.

The blanks should be finished and in our hands within the next couple weeks, then we just have to begin building. We will have plenty to go around when the time comes. I don't have an exact price for you just yet... I'll post that info once we figure that out...

Sounds good Matt, as you can see we are eagerly waiting for what you and the rest of the folks at Thorne Bros. are dreaming up.

Just to think, after the ice show yesterday I thought I was "Set" for the season...

Sounds awesome... have been wanting a Thorne Bros rod for a while and now reading this it looks like this will be my first one. Thanks for keeping us informed Matt I'll definately be watching for them to come out.