• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster or Jiffy?

FasterThanYou23

I have a strikemaster and love it. My father has a jiffy. That being said, I like the strikemaster because its lighter and not nearly as loud. That would be my biggest complaint about the jiffy, especially when noise may be of an issue to you. Also, strikemasters costomer service has been awesome. I had a problem with my recoil, a metal part broke inside. I thought that the warranty may have been up, so I went in to their shop in big lake, told them the problem that I had, they took it into their back room and fixed it right there. also told them it was hard starting since new. they adjusted it and has run great since. never asked when I got it, if there was still warranty, or anything, just fixed it and wished me luck on fishing. I had hears that they run rich from the factory for break in, so if you do get one, run it for a while and then have it tuned up.

I've noticed throughout the years this question pops up probably the most frequently right next to Vex vs Marc. You will soon realize that this question is similar to walking into a crowded bar and saying ford is better than chevy or vise versa. You will get pro's and con's from both side, ultimately it will come down to several things.

Weight, noise, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, and customer service. I also needed a new auger last year and after reading countless posts, I ended up getting a strikemaster strikelight. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

This is a Ford vs. Chevy debate. Both are great augers and you could read 2million responses to this question and not know which one to get. People tend to push the Nils on this site, they are a great auger but you better be ready to break the bank. I bought the cheapest auger I could find ($240 new)about 8 years ago. It ended up being an Eskimo which has a great blade cutting system and I have not had a problem with it. Buy what you can afford.

You will hear alot of Nills responses but if you are like me, money is an issue. There is quality on the market for hundreds less.

One big reason I went with my Strikelight, is because it is a 4 stroke no more mixing fuel. Just go to any gas station and fill up, and with half the noise of a jiffy. My buddies and I have heard enough augers running we typically can tell exactly what kind of auger is running with out even seeing it.

I bought my "JIFFY" model #30. from a friend last year for $50.00.. Excellent shape.. I like it.. "fast" and "powewrful".. BUT.. after I get some taxes back from filing right away, I am going to get a new "JIFFY" or "STRIKEMASTER".. lighter weight.. My buddy has the "4 stroke" Now that is nice..I am thinking about it??

I had a strikemaster a couple years ago it was nice for about the first month then just about everything went wrong recoil throttle lever wouldn't start well drive gears chipped/stripped out. went and bought a jiffy and love it...then i won one in a raffle so i have two love them both 8" and 10"

You really can't make a bad choice between the brands. They both use the same tecumseh engine the only real difference is in the gearbox. My personal preference is jiffy and haven't had any trouble using it in any condition. Bought a new STX Pro this year and can't wait to get it out on the ice for the first time this weekend.

Dont jiffy and strike master use the same motor? how can one be louder than another? I got a good deal on a jiffy stealth stx and it runs like a champ and cuts through the ice the same as any new strikemaster ive used.

The way I see it is strikemaster has shaver blades when sharp will cut slightly faster than jiffy chipper blades but the chipper blades generaly have a longer life.

You'd probably be happy with either and whatever one you get run amsoil saber in it from the get go...

Like perch pounder said above either brand would be good as they both utilize the tecumseh engine. Its Kinda a personal preference thing too. I got a 17 year old Strikemaster Cobra pro 10" with a 3.5hp motor and the thing rips!! Rebuilt the carb last year for the first time.Just as fast as my buddys Jiffy 10"he bought last year. But not as fast as my 20 year old strikemaster maglite3 8".

Ultimately what made my decision for me is weight. Are you like me who doesn't wait for ice to be wheeler safe or are you out on first ice. I also have several spots that aren't accessible by wheeler or truck, so I walk several miles. When it all boils down weight is on the top of my list. One more thing I think you mentioned you crappie fish. I don't know how you fish, but when we first start off we pop anywhere from 50 to 75 holes. If you are lugging around those extra pounds you will wish you went lighter.

One word of advice, I bought mine last Dec and there is a issue on an there old oil gasket. They realized the problem and now use a better gasket.

The problem: When layed on it's side it would ever so slightly, leak a little oil throughout the day. You couldn't see it leak but by the end of an 8 hour day, the handle would be slippery. I called Strikemaster over the summer and they were more than happy to fix it...they even paid for shipping and handling.

So when shopping make sure you look into the manufacture date and get one that doesn't have the bad gasket. You may even want to call the Strikemaster and inquire about the dates these new gaskets were implemented and if old ones are still on store shelves.

The 4 stroke would be nice but if you haven't already, I would read some of the posts regarding quite a few reports of broken augers on the Strike Lite.

I've heard of a couple folks who have had a broken auger, and everytime they say customer service was spectacular and a new auger was shipped to them free of charge and in a hurry.