• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger question

gbc

This might sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask. Does your auger bit spin when the engine is running idle? Mine didn't last year, but does now and I thought I read that it shouldn't spin at idle. I took mine apart to put in a new pull rope and had to take the carb off. Put it all back together and the blade turned slowly. I took it in and they said the throttle spring was hooked up wrong and one of the gaskets was on crooked. I can believe that it was a pain the @ss getting it back togehter. However, the blade still spins at idle?

If the carb was adjusted right last year and you didn't move the idle screw it seems unlikely that's it. Did the gasket get damaged when you pulled the carb off? If any air is being drawn in between the carb and engine a faster idle is possible.

I have the same thing happening on my auger. The cable from the throttle to the engine broke and a fix made of wire was created. I had never known if it was supposed to turn a little. But now I that I know it's not supposed to I might lengthen it up a bit.

GBC

I am assuming that you have the TC 200 or 300 engine on your auger. The problem you are having is too high of an idle rpm. I am assuming that the throttle works free and is not binding.

Simply turn the idle stop screw counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn at a time until the auger stops turning.

Harry

Hey guys thanks - my lazermag auger spins too after I use it. When I am walking from place to place to punch new holes it spins. I like the auger overall - but I dont like having to push in that little doohicky on the side every time I have to pull the cord. That is really a pain! I wish i would have know about this before I bought it. Do the Jiffys or the Nils have those too? Mine also takes a number of pulls before it starts - any suggestions there?

a new spark plug, new gas, aims oil, could be a number of things I have a new auger and I even start it before going out to the lake. then when I get out to the lake I dont have to stand in the wind to warm it up just pull and go go go.

If the shaft spins at idle then your idle speed is too high or your running lean.

Your first assumption is to turn the idle speed stop screw to lower the idle. If the auger starts good when cold then turning the idle speed screw down will be fine.

If its hard to stop when cold then chances are its running too lean. Depending on which carb you have that could be a air/fuel mixture adjustment or a dirty jet or circuit in the carb.