• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Cats 2009

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
Darren,

What's travel time from Le Sueur?

I can get to Le Sueur in about 25 minutes from here and then it's another 1:45, so I would say about 2:15

That's what I was figuring. Thanks Darren.

PDOGG and I are planning to attend.

We fished a few areas up there today and found the fish to be quite negative. I will figure out these rascals someday.

Anyways, we were able to make it out to the headquarters to check on the conditions and everything looks really good. Probably had 30-32" of ice and a nice hard packed road out to the Meth hole.

There are a couple of stretches on the road that the ruts are quite deep. A car with minimal ground clearance might be an issue. I towed my Sledbed tilt trailer back without bottoming out, so it's not super deep.

Off of the main road wasn't real bad, but I did manage to find a deeper snow spot where I got hung up with the trailer and had to unhook and dig out.

Let's hope the fish build up a bigger appetite for us then they had today.

Its time to start getting more organized on this. Time is getting shorter. I've picked up most of the ingredients for a couple of gallons of beans. I have five pounds of Ambassador beef hotdogs. I be bringing the buns, mustard, ketchup, horseradish, kraut, chili and other toppings. If anybody wants to bring something to add to it, we could use some more dogs and some already sliced cheeses. If you want to bring hotdogs, let me know here, so we don't get eleventeen people bringing the same thing. I'll have my camp kitchen and camp stoves for stuff that needs to be hot. Someone already voluteered a big serving table. We'll need some sort of windbreak,just in case. If no one has one, I could bring one, but I'll already be bringing a full truck. If you bring food in a pan you want back, put your name on it. I still have a glass dish left from last year that I couldn't find an owner for. We could use a volunteer for an hour or so to help set up the feeding frenzy, and maybe someone to help police the fishing area at the end of the day. Although, last year, everything I found whould fit into a shirt pocket. This bunch cleans up after itself. And to whomever gave me the leftover salsa to bring home last year, if you bring it again, I'll kiss you on all four cheeks.

I've been thinking that we should have those stick-on name tags that say,HELLO,MY NAME IS-- and we could put our FM names on it so we can connects faces with names.

And we could have a contest, with whoever catches the largest cat gets Dtro's truck as first prize. Offhand, it sounds good to me. See you on the ice.

I will bring the table I brought last year as well. I will bring some sort of snack probably chips. I will also be bringing my cordless fillet knife as I remember that being an issue last year. I will check back in closer to the time and see if I need to bring anything else to help out.

I second the nomination for Dtro's truck to be given to the person with the largest Cat.

Hope to see you all again.

While I might not be able to offer up my vehicle smile, I will try to line something up for a big fish prize. I sure don't want to make this a contest, but it would be fun to reward a big fish. I can't promise anything but I'll try.

A tent like we had down at Tetonka would be perfect to set up at headquarters.

I've been able to secure a few small prizes so hopefully we can have a big fish contest and a small drawing or something.

If I'm feeling up to it and have the time I might buzz up there this weekend to check on ice conditions. If any locals could chime in and give an update it would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am planning on heading up to the cabin after bowling on Thursday night. Friday morning if all goes well I am going(ice is okay) to take the permanent out there and spend the day fishing. It can be used as a wind break I will be fishing out of my portable most of the time. I plan on being out there all weekend.

Hey all you cat and kitten fisherpersons. There is only seven shopping days til the gathering. Lets see you checking in on who is attending, and bringing guests. Hopefully, two of my sons and a few of their friends will be coming with me. We can use a volunteer to bring some sort of windbreak for the cooking and the feeding frenzy. Papa Grump has volunteered to bring the dancing maidens. Or was that the minnows?? I forget.(just kidding, Grump) What do you guys think of the wearing of name tags that say,HELLO,MY NAME IS-- with our FM names on them? We could put names to the faces that way. I'll have my ATV and trailer along for people who want to park near shore and get their stuff shuttled to the fishing area. Maybe we can get some kid to volunteer as driver. Soooo- lets make this year one to remember. The clock is ticking. (smiling face)

If I can talk my Dad into going with I will plan on being there. Dassel isn't that far away I think. I've never caught a cat through the ice and my Dad has NEVER caught a fish EVER through the ice. If he went and would catch anything I would be more than happy. He lives on a lake and I feel as if he is really missing out on some really nice hard water fishing. I think this would inspire him to get out in winter if he only new how much fun it can be in winter as well as summer. I just bought all new gear within the last couple weeks and would like to break them in good before the thaw as well as get a few tips.

These events are just like a big get together right?

Seeing as how it is not a contest I would assume that there isn't like a entry fee is there?

Did I read it right that it starts at 8am and if so how long does it last? Or would it matter if we got there later?

Do the cats hit better in the morning or do they slow down as the day progress?

Bottle fish, very informal just a bunch of great people getting together to share stories and hopefully catch some fish. Come when you want, leave when you want.

Ice/snow conditions as of now are really good. We drove out there yesterday and there's roughly 4-5 inches of powder snow on top of 24-30" of ice with a decent road out to the Meth hole. As long as the weather holds, there shouldn't be any issues.

The bite for us yesterday was slow, but it seems like when a big group gets together it's much easier to find the fish and then tighten up around the school.

Most generally there does seem to be a better bite in the early morning, but catching fish throughout the day is also possible.

I will try my hardest to talk my Dad into coming. But if he doesn't I'll either get there by myself or bring a fiend or two. Checked out that video you posted above and it looked like a really good time. Being new to this forum it would be cool to meet some of the other ones on here and get to know where some of them are from. Maybe go alone if nothing else.

Lake Washington near Dassel needs something like this seeing as they canceled the fishing tournament they use to have indefinitely. Another post said it best there is nothing like winter to meet fellow anglers. In the summer at best you get a wave while passing one another.

I just blew a headgasket in my toyota on monday morning and am hoping to have it fixed by then. got most of it apart but there are other obligations that I have to atend to for the next couple of days so hope fully thursday I can get it running. If not I might have a friend that wants to check out the cats thru the ice stop by and pick my son and myself up but he's ify on it yet. crossing my fingers that it will work out.

Well I still have Sat. off so I am planning on heading up, cant wait. Only one catch.... My son is starting playoffs for Hockey Redwood Valley on Thursday. If they win, I think they play on Sat....SIGH.... I want them to win of course!!! First time Ever they have took champion of the confrence and have a chance to go to state. Perhaps it will all work out. I would really love to get up there and see all of you, it's been a long time.

I already can't wait for Saturday to catch a cat on ice. I hope the warm weather hasn't effected the ice at all. A friend and I are going for sure. It looks like fun and I'll be looking for dtro and the Nils and even a little pointer as where to set up and get a cat or two. Never been on the horseshoe yet. It'll be two firsts in one day. Looking forward to it.

By the way dtro being a pot luck thing do I need to bring anything? Sounds like there will be plenty there already.

Also crappie or fat heads?

Darren and I will be bringing the snowmobiles. I think we may have an issue with driving out Saturday morning if we get the 8 inches they keep talking about. Trucks should be alright....but unless someone plows, the cars may need to stay by the access. We will see if there is enough traffic Friday and Friday night to make it drivable for everyone. Darren or I will be happy to pull portables and people out to the meth hole for the gathering...so don't use the snow as an excuse. laugh

Best luck has been with fatheads....or even waxies, or shiners, or suckers....I even caught one on a crawler last year.