• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Cats 2009

Mark your calendars for what has turned into one of the highlights of the hard water season!

When is the event

Sat Feb 28th 2009 8am

What will we be catching?

Channel Catfish with an occasional Walleye,Crappie and Rock Bass mixed in

Where is the event?

Cool Cats will be on the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes located near Richmond/Cold Spring MN. Roughly 1.5 hrs Northwest of the Twin Cites. From 94 take 23 west to Richmond and then take 22 south to the lake.

We will be fishing the Methane or "Meth" hole. There are two popular points of access. The best one to use for vehicles is the winter access. Please monitor this thread closer to the event to confirm current ice conditions.

shoe.jpg

What should I bring?

First and foremost, a big smile, because you will be using it a lot smile

Typically we use basic walleye gear for catching the cats. We will set up one pole with an Ice Buster bobber or equivalent and a plain red hook with a cut piece of minnow (Fathead or Golden shiner) set just above the bottom, and then jig with the other pole rigged with a jigging spoon/minnow head. JB Lures Rattling Varmint in glow red is favorite among the catters.

A spring bobber has proven to be helpful for the light bite days.

Also as in years past, we will be having a potluck at noon, so bring along a favorite food item to share. Hopefully we can work out frying up some catfish as well.

Bring along the whole family and stay for a couple hours or stay all day.

We will try to get a bunch of holes punched for those that don't have an auger.

Click here to see the recap from last year

Hope to see you all there!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to try to make this one this year. Looks like you guys had a blast last year, I just couldn't make it.

I say the same thing every year but something always comes up to prevent me from going. The only year I was set to go, we got a butt load of snow right before and it was canceled. Go figure.

It has always been the first Sat after the close of Walleye season. This way, the Walleye people can come too and not miss out on that last weekend.

Usually that is the first Sat of March, but not this year.