• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Tank and Auger idle for 3 years, what do I do?

Sybar

looking to get back into some good old ice-fishing...and one of my questions is...I have a 3 year old, pretty much full Propane tank...is it still safe to use my sunflower heater with it? Also I have a auger that has been sitting with old fuel in it for 3 years, are there some tips and tricks that anyone could please recommend to help me get back out on the ice...Thanks!

Definitely drain the old fuel from the auger and put in a fresh mix before trying to start it. If you didn't use amsoil or stabil you might not have any luck and it might be gummed up. Also, you might want to squirt a little mix into the cylinder before starting to get the walls lubed up.

I'm not a mechanic, so maybe someone else has better suggestions.

Welcome to the forum!

Auger - not an expert, but if it were mine I would check it out for leaks, check plug to make sure it is clean, empty old gas and put new mixed gas using amsoil saber pro @ 100:1 and try starting it. If all works good, check to make sure the blades are sharp and your good to go.

I like sea foam, so I might be tempted to put some of that in your tank of mixed gas to get the any gunked cleaned out of the engine.

Gas additive that is a gas stablizer and also is suppose to clean gunk & deposits out of your engine/fuel system.

They sell them at most gas stations, FF, etc. Use it periodically in all my engine. Lots of guys swear by this stuff.

Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer/cleaner if you remember to put it in at the end of the year good if not its no big deal. Your stuff is fine. The propane will never go bad. As far as your auger goes add new gas prime the heck out of it shake it and prime it again open the choke and pull the cord. It will be ready to drill. I rarely drain or add anything to any of my gas tanks and they seem to do just great.

i'm not sure...what does the triangle valve do?

If you have the old round knob, check to see how old your propane tank is. If it is getting close to 20 years old don't bother to change the valve. Just get a new tank. It's the law that if propane tanks are older then 20 years you are not supose to refill them. Reasoning behind it is that pressure stress and rust can weaken the tank walls which could result in a tank explosion when they are filled up. That being said, I wouldn't be suprised if tanks don't get checked for a date and refilled.

Sybar

If your auger has been setting for three years, and never started, take the auger to a recommended small engine shop and have the carb removed, stripped and cleaned. That is if you do not have the ability to do so yourself.

I have found that you may get the engine running on new fuel, but it will not be dependable. As the new fuel, with the new cleaning additives is flushed through the carb, minute deposits will be left behind, and will plug up the small orfices in the body of the carb.

The engine may run in the garage, but after about 30 minutes of run time, the engine will fail to start. I have never had a good time watching someone crank and crank on their auger on the ice.

I have been a small engine mechanic since May of 1970, so I think I know what it will take to make this season a happy and productive season for you on the hard water.

Harry