Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappiesNeyes

Best Vexilar Battery?

6 posts in this topic

I need a new battery for my Vexilar. Any opinions or thoughts on what brand / type to get? Thanks in advance. CNE

Battery Spec, Veteran owned and operated and for $18 plus shipping. I love the Tempest batteries...

A good 8 to 9 amp will serve you well. A vex does not eat up much juice.

For lighting or a underwater camera...go 9 amp for sure.

8 amp $19 and 9 amp $24 at Gander.

I got a Interstate 8amp. works great cant remember what i paid for it tho. It seems like most brands sell for around the same price tho.

I'd get an absorbent glass mat (AGM)battery. This is the type of battery I use for my boat, vex and for lighting my icehouse. The advantage is they are not at risk of freezing or cold weather damage. They also hold their charge much better than a flooded battery, only self discharging 1-3% per month. They are slightly more expensive but worth it to me since I've had batteries damaged while ice fishing.

Joe

I think the proper term for the general type of battery used for these things is "VRLA" (valve regulated lead acid). Two basic types...gel cell and AGM. Most common is the gel cell, afaik.

I've ordered Panasonic brand in the past from DigiKey. They've been a bit more expensive but seemed to last pretty well. Dunno though, if they're worth the extra money or not in the long run.