• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night Bite

FasterThanYou23

I've been doing some reading about ice fishing during the night hours.I read on several websites that fish will move around more after dark.What I've come up with is use a glow jig or glo bait to help them find it.If youre fishing over a weed bed,keep your line on the top of the weeds.Key on the shallower sections of spots that you would fish deep during the day.Narrows are a good place to be because of many roaming fish,unless its too shallow.I havent done much night time ice fishing,so any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

FTY23

You did not say what you are fishing for but I will assume it is walleyes. This can be the best time for you to catch them on lakes that have a lot of traffic during the normal peak times (sunrise and sunset)but I can't say that I have caught great numbers but the size seems to go up. For whatever reason it seems like they are always in that 22 to 26 inch range. Make sure to have one rig with more of a plain jane setup if you are going to use glow on the other so you can offer them a choice. You will want your minnows to be lively so change your water so they have enough oxygen and check your bait to be sure it is still working for you. I would make sure to use a jigging spoon to attract and catch the aggressive ones but it will also attract fish into your live bait rig. If you plan on spending the night there is nothing better then having the rattle wheels wake you up grin

some times the shallow side like you said and sometimes the deeper side you just never know lol ....once you think you know wherer they will be they are not there then you find the fish and your like well ....why the beep are they here ? you jsut never know sometimes just need to look look and the find lol but all of the spots that have been listed are good places to fish but dont get stuck on a spot just becouse you THINK there should be fish there

Yes, Noise. You don't want any. Try to keep it as quiet as possible (within reason, of course). Try not to kick stuff or drop things on the ice or floor of your shack, especially when fishing in less that 15 or 20FOW. Some guys will talk loud, laugh like drunken sailors, drop beer bottles, slam fishhouse doors, etc. then wonder why the fishing stinks. Duh?

I agree with Blaze aside from my dropping a propane can on the ice the other night. The valve was stuck and letting out propane I was afraid the heater would ignite it and boom. Sorry Blaze. I always use only my head lamp with the red light on (red light doesn't go as deep as white). I have had much better luck at night with very low noise and very low lighting.