• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

amsoil ratio for strikemaster

Hoffer

hey guys-

First, I apologize - I know this has been covered before - but I cant find the post. I am going to start using amsoil in my strikemaster lazer auger this year. Can someone please tell me what kind of amsoil to use, where i can purchase (last year I found amsoil for my outboard at fleet - do they have the kind for augers there?) and last - what ratio to use. I think I have a little 1 gallon gas jug at home. Just need to know what ratio (how much of the oil) to use for a gallon of gas. Much appreciated and thanks for your help and patience - as I know this has been posted before.

No way, don't dump the gas. As long as the engine is being lubricated you are fine. The Amsoil will smoke much less and some claim perform better. Less smoke yes, if the performance is better it's negligible. Might get others swearing they now get 3 horse out of a 2 horse motor but ust my 2cents

Sorry for the caps, but WHEN USING SYNTHETIC OIL, MAKE SURE YOU FOG YOUR MOTORS FOR SUMMER STORAGE. Syn doesnt bond to metals as well as mineral does. it will drip off over time and your crank bearings and jug will rust. You should fog anytime you are storing, but more importantly when you are using syn. STARTING OCCASIONALLY WILL NOT GET ALL THE CONDENSATION OUT OF IT AND DOESNT COME CLOSE TO FOGGING. And its like $3 a can, why would you risk a $3,4,500 auger?

Thansk as usual guys!

One last question...I went to that HSOforum - but looks like I would need to order the oil. I would like to actually get some today somewhere to put a mix together. Anybody know of a local dealer or local area to pick up the saber around Maple Grove?

Thanks again!

Thanks Cyberg! I Would like to support any local dealers on FM - but if I dont hear anything by later this afternoon I will check out NAPA and then order some from the HSOforum posted here for next time around...

No, AMSOIL is NOT just oil. As a matter of fact, it is NOT petroleum oil at all! AMSOIL's 2-cycle oils are all diester base products. That is, they are fully man made lubricants. The 2-cycle 'oils' are made from agricultural by-products, by chemically combining an alcohol and a fatty acid. It is designed to be a better lubricant and to be an ashless lubricant. It burns away clean leaving no carbon behind.

(AMSOIL's 4-stroke - motor oils are PAO based, still not conventional petroleum based but a different technology, but that is an entirely separate discussion.)

More power, YES! Better lubrication, complete combustion, less oil with leaner fuel-oil mixtures also means less octane dilution. Most 2-cycle engines get higher reving top-end with it, easier starting with quicker warm-up and far smoother running. Don't take my word for it, read the comments by many other FMers in many threads.

With an auger, smokeless, no oil drip means a much cleaner fish-house. No oil coated walls, you don't have to freeze your tail off leaving the door open for extended periods to air it out after drilling. (Please do vent and get some fresh air each time you operate - it does still give off carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.)

As a Fishing Minnesota sponsor I do appreciate it when you order on-line from me. Just use any of the links in my signature or any of my posts and I get credit for it. AMSOIL gives 1 or 2 business day delivery (orders placed by noon normally ship out the same day) to almost everyone in Minnesota from the Superior, WI distribution center.

I appologize if the following seems more commercial ad than normal here, but with all the discussion going on in several threads, I feel I needed to post this.

As a Christmas gift to Fishing Minnesota I am giving away free 6-month Preferred Customer Memberships (wholesale buyer), $10.00 value. Just use my Christmas link below.

Preferred package sizes and pricing:

Pillow Pack, mixes 1 gallon of gas, sugg retail $1.40, wholesale $.95

3.5 oz, mixes 2 to 2.5 gallon of gas, retail $2.30, wholesale $1.65

8 oz, mixes 5 gal at 80-1, 6 gal at 100-1, bottle marked with per gallon markings, retail $4.05, wholesale $3.05

Shipping and handling just $7.10 for up to 3 lbs, much cheaper than the cost of your time and gas to run around looking for it locally.

Hard617, where did your post come from? Was this with AMSOIL or a different brand?

With AMSOIL I have heard nothing but the exact opposite! I have been selling this for nearly 30 years and have had 1,000s of customers report better protection, including better storage protection.

Yes, technically a di-ester based (the technology AMSOIL's 2-cycle lubes are based on) can have a polar problem with coating/protecting, but when fully formulated and compensated for with the corrective additives, the AMSOIL 2-cycle lubes provide even better rust and storage protection than petroleum based lubes.

However, AMSOIL does recommend fogging for off season protection, and does have a fogging oil in the product line.

But I have heard many, many reports of 2-cycle engines left set for 2 years and starting on 2-year old gas on 1st or 2nd pull (even without the use of additional stabilizer, and yes, AMSOIL has stabilizer too).

AMSOIL Saber Professional will give you safe lubrication and great performance as lean as 100-1, (1.3 oz per gallon). The pillow packs are 1.5 oz and if you get absolutely all out you will get a little richer. Many FMers prefer to be safe and use it at 80-1. Even if you run it at 50-1 it will still be nearly smokeless and not leave the oil drip problems.

If you aren't comfortable with the lean 100-1, start richer where you feel safe, then go leaner as your experience says you can.

As far as fogging oil goes, I do it to all of my smaller engines. Cannot hurt to do it no matter what oil one uses. I use the Saber oil and yes, it is that good in my auger.

I remember having new augers with oil and gas dripping out, smokey fish house and harder starting augers, not any more since I switched to the Saber oil.

I will never go back to what I use to use.

Hard617, where did your post come from? Was this with AMSOIL or a different brand?

With AMSOIL I have heard nothing but the exact opposite! I have been selling this for nearly 30 years and have had 1,000s of customers report better protection, including better storage protection.

Yes, technically a di-ester based (the technology AMSOIL's 2-cycle lubes are based on) can have a polar problem with coating/protecting, but when fully formulated and compensated for with the corrective additives, the AMSOIL 2-cycle lubes provide even better rust and storage protection than petroleum based lubes.

However, AMSOIL does recommend fogging for off season protection, and does have a fogging oil in the product line.

But I have heard many, many reports of 2-cycle engines left set for 2 years and starting on 2-year old gas on 1st or 2nd pull (even without the use of additional stabilizer, and yes, AMSOIL has stabilizer too).

oilman, the post came from me. I am an avid snowmobiler and mechanic. Augers dont have the run time or rev's that the snowmobiles get, with that being said, I have heard many crank failures due to improper storage, most certainly with syn oils. I run amsoil interceptor in my sled an have had very good luck with it, as have many others, but the failures tend to be more frequent in syn sleds with improper storage. Fogging is the only way to go. Yes, they will start after 2 years or more with sitting, but also have the pits in your bearing races. Who knows? with an auger that doesnt see the run time, it may last for some time yet, but I was just stating as a precautionary measure for those who dont know, that it is important to practice proper storage. Also, gives another product you can advertise come spring. grin

Burning a synthetic oil does not void warranty but using a mixture other than what is recommended could. If you burn the engine up, empty the fuel tank before sending it back. If the engine burns up from running Amsoil @ 80:1 it had nothing to do with the oil mixture. ie: the engine would have failed no matter what you did and had some type of defect.

Warranty Questions?????

Warranty repairs are based on failure analysis, though many manufacturers will make a lot of noise about other things.

The AMSOIL warranty - simply stated - when an AMSOIL lubricant is used within AMSOIL guidelines in a stock (non-modified) application the way it is designed to be used AMSOIL gives you additional lubricant warranty. Full AMSOIL warranty statement.

Also, you should never ship any machine with fuel - drain it thoroughly. I don't know of any shipping company - mail, UPS, freight, etc. - that will accept anything for shipping containing fuel unless you fully label its hazzard and then have to pay the hazzard shipping rates (mail won't take it at all, UPS probably won't). I have had to ship a few engines and I remove carburetor and fuel tank before shipping.

I switched to Amzoil last year in my auger and was very satisfied. My neighbor is a wholesaler and he helped me set it up. I bought the pre measured paks and use them as directed. I also bought from him some gas stabilizer which I use in place of my prior product. If its got an engine I use it. Very satisfied, especially the ease of starting in colder weather. Good luck and hang on. Bill

I talked with the reps from S/M on this very subject. They aprove of Amzoil Saber at the 100 to 1 ratio AFTER your warranty is expired. They know that the oil is good, they also know that they don't want to get in a conflict with their engine supplier by recommending a oil/gas ratio that the OEM supplier might have an issue with. A couple years ago S/M wanted to market a kit for their augers that would deflect the exhaust down instead of straght out against the wall of the fishhouse. They sent a prototype to their engine supplier and were told "anything that modifies the original design would void the engine warranty".