• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the smallest jig people are/have used?

UMsmalliez

I've been in NC for the past two months fly fishing and I'm going to come back to MN in a week or so. I've been catching these trout on some of the tiniest flies. I'm talking #20-28. Just itty bitty little midges, hares ears, scuds and the like. A huge pain to tie btw.

I was thinking about trying some of these little things this winter for some gills if they start getting finicky. Maybe not the tiny ones, but something like #18-22.We'll see how it works.

So what are the smallest size jigs or flies(if you use them) that you are or have used?

I posted on here about using a similar technique... havent gottne much of a response other than ppl telling me to use ice fishing designed jigs. Prior to this season the smallest ive used would probably be the smallest offered by the major lure companies.

If you do try it let me know how it works for you... I sure plan I trying it this season.

I've used nymphs and wet flies from my fly box for ice fishing. Don't think I've gone below size 16 though. One day last winter I caught a bunch of sunnies on a Brown Hackle wet fly. Similar to this picture except mine had a brown tail too. I put a small split shot about a foot above the fly.

Brown-Hackle-.jpg

Yeah, I think I might give an 18 a shot. I tied up some really cool clown/icecream midges in a 18. They look $. I'll try to post a pic if I can ever find the dang camera.

The wet flies are a good call. Gonna have to give them a try too.

p.s. Looks like the smallest Marmish is a #14.

#18 bead-head prince nymph

#18 bead-head pheasant tail nymph

Both VERY deadly when jigged/fluttered. I generally run these on two-pound fluro with a single 1/32 oz split-shot 18" above. Generally does not need bait/spike.

Only problem is that the little guys are just as likely to inhale the nymphs as the bulls. Bring a forcept.

You guys have to try those Finnish HALI jigs with little glass diamonds and yarn attractors. There is nothing better for crappies. I have found them at Gander and Mills if you need to find them.

I just got some of the small jigs and I have been thinking about tying them onto 12 inch pieces of line in the house and then using a snap swivel to change them out. I can't see how it would be possible to tie the small ones out on the ice. How do you folks do it?