• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Treating wooden stands?

Does anybody treat their perm stands with anything?

We built some perm stands and a ground blind this summer out of treated wood. They are built well and we have about $100 in each stand. I would like the investment to last as long as possible and am thinking that treating them might not be a bad idea in a year or 2 with something like a Thompsons water seal.

Just curious. I've seen a few stands this past weekend hunting grouse in our area and getting to know it and was wondering with the amount of time and effort some of these guys put into their stands why they make them out of un treated wood then a couple years down the road they start falling apart. Wouldn't it be better to make them out of treated wood or use a metal commercial built ladder stand? I understand cost and effort of getting stuff way back in even on a wheeler. Wouldn't it be less work and time to build it the right way once?

if u used green-treated lumber, and SCREWED everything together, you should be fine for years. just remember that within the past year, the chemicals used to "treat" the lumber have changed. instead of arsenic, they use micronized copper, which means it can only be used above ground, and the fasteners must be stainless steel, GRK with climatek coating, or ACQ nails. regular double-dipped galvanized nails may work, but not recommended. If the lumber you used had an "X-Guard" label on the end of it, then you'll more or less need specialty fasteners.

I know this is going to open a can of worms, but, we use perm and portable stands on our land. The portable ones are made of treated wood, there must be something about the treated wood that the black bears love because each fall 2 or 3 are mauled apart. Some of the older permanent ones that are made of untreated wood, never touched, but in the same, replacing various rotted boards every year

For years I'd move my ladder stand around and when I finally figured out "thee" location put a permanent one in place. I got about 20 years out of my main stand, the key there I think was that I used 10 inch telephone polls for the legs, so I had little rotting, think Vister has the recipe down well.

Screwed them together. Man those screws are spendy but seem to be well worth it so far. No creaking or squeaking.

By the way where does one get 10" telephone poles?

We have a bear den not far from 2 stands hope he doesn't get any ideas.

I know a place you can get them, but its one of those, I only know how to drive to. HWY 10 north of Becker going to St. Cloud, don't remember if it is before or after clearwater, but it is located on the northbound side they have a huge sign selling poles, RR ties, etc etc.