• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do stores do with old unsold shacks from 2+ years ago?

Jari Razskazoff

I understand that at the end of the season stores reduce the price on everything including portable shacks, but after that sale, what do they do with the remaining surplus of portables?

What I'm wondering is if I can get a 2008/9 model for full price,

and

I can get a 2007/8 model for 3/4 or less the price,

Where can I get a 2006/7 model for 1/4 the price of a new one?

Is there an oversurplus store or something like that?

yeah, i know about getting a used one on c.l... or where ever you suggested, I'm not asking about used ones though, I'm asking about where they go after a couple years..

Pleasant is on track, now where to find them after they go back to the manufacturer... I know they don't just donate them, well maybe they do, but to where?

Most sell out at clearance at the retail level at seasons end, the remainders are RTV'd..that is Returned To Vendor. They go back to the company that made them.

Clam, Frabill, Eskimo...whomever does not like seeing there shacks sold below cost, no matter what, so they buy them back. The retailer is happy, and so is the vendor.

So, unless the manufacture has a clearance from the warehouse on old holdovers and reconditioned units, some get donated to causes, the remainder get disposed of, junked for scrap and recycled.

Best deals are late season units retail displays with minor flaws, or warehouse liquidations from the manufacturer.

End of the season is by far the best time. 4 years ago I got my clam 5600 for $250 at the end of the year. I am sure this is what most retailers do just to get rid of inventory. I end up doing all my summer buys at the end of October and all winter buys in mid Feb.