• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

From Scratch Jerky Recipes?

Anyone got a good one to share for venison? I have tried most of the pre-packaged ones and they vary from ok to good. I tinker with them but still havent found "great".

Looking for something kind of sweet with some heat also. If I have a good base recipe I can alter it to sweet and hot though...

Thanks...

Heres what I do. Equal parts Soy Sauce, Teriyaki and Worcestershire sauce. Make enough to cover meat your making add some cayenne to your desired heat level. Soak it over night. After you lay it on the dehydrater or rack in the oven/smoker sprinkle a little bit of salt, you dont need much, theres quite a bit in the three sauces. Tastes exactly like the beef jerky you buy in stores.

Enjoy

My girlfriend makes a killer marinade thats great on steaks, so I'm gonna try it out for jerky. 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup coarse mustard (or more to taste), and black pepper to taste. Good stuff.

I also like equal parts worcestershire, soy, with some lime juice and brown sugar or honey. Can't go wrong with that one

Here's my brother's recipe. It's one of my favorites.

1/4 C. Soy Sauce

1/4 C. Worchestershire Sauce

1 t. Onion Powder

1/2 t. Garlic Powder

1/2 t. Black Pepper

1/4 t. Ceyenne Pepper

1 to 1-1/2 lbs. sliced meat

Thoroughly mix all ingredients except the meat. Add the meat to mixture coating well. Let soak overnight for best penetration. For even better penetration, use a vacuum sealer and soak the meat overnight, kneading the package every so often.

Sprinkle extra black pepper after placing on drying racks. Dry until desired tenderness.

I like to slice the meat about 1/4" - 3/8" thick, diagonally across the grain. Slicing with the grain can make the jerky too chewy, especially if you haven't completely removed the silver membrane from the meat. Cutting perpendicular to the grain isn't chewy enough to be called jerky. But that's just my opinion.

Bob

Edit: I didn't notice the part about you wanting something sweeter. Perhaps you could just add a little brown sugar and to the mix. It'll give it more of a barbeque flavor I suppose.

I've used a very similar recipe. Great point about removing the fascia. Cutting off any membranes is definitely key. While we're at it, what's everybody's preferred cut of meat to use? I'm using the round this year

Thanks for the ideas all, keep em comming...

BobT - A buddy gave me a very similar recipe that he says is awesome, only diff is his has some ketchup in it...

I usually make my jerky out of what we call the "front roast". Its the chunk that would be the thigh. If your patient and have some knife skills its a nice cut. The main chunk can be sectioned into three pieces then the silver skin removed...