Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
picksbigwagon

looking South for ice fishing over Xmas break

11 posts in this topic

Looking to head south on 35 over the holiday break and meet up with a friend from Calmar (NE IA) and get some ice fishing in. we talked about hitting clear lake, but are there good spots in walking distance from the landings or would we be better off hitting something smaller down there.

Also, what works on clear lake for catching those yellow bass in the winter? what about the walleyes?

Yeah, I know, 3 weeks from know, who knows what will be where, but I have fished that lake a few times in open water and have a good general understanding of it. I actually found a really nice hump for catching catfish of all things.......

I don't think having ice then will be a problem with the weather we are having. Sounds like you know more about the lake than i do but, i always here about the guys fishing around the island. Standard ice jigs should work for the yellows.

If you happen to pass through Sumner, give me a shout!

Thanks Del, haven't been through sumner in a lonnnnng time. I remember running cross country there in high school, but that was 20 years agoo.

Your big arse ran Cross Country??????? The trees at the golf courses you ran on had to be on heck of an obstical for you. hehehehehe

I ran my sophmore year, I slogged the other 3 years. I was really good at running down hill.............

Man! I didn't even know we had cross country til a few years ago! They stated it up when my son was in high school.( he's a senior in college now!) grin

Lake Meyer might be worth trying while you're in Calmar. Of course, it might not be worth trying too...

i have fished Lake Meyer, but the trip for me is shorter if we fish of off Interstate 35. He doesn't have small kids or any kids at home, I have 3 under the age of 8, I need to be home that evening.

Your best bet will be Clear Lake. Good winter fishing for walleyes and yellow bass. Small jigs and minnow head will catch both. If you want a smaller body of water try Lake Hendricks near Riceville not too far south of Austin,MN. Good bite on crappie and bluegill during the ice season.

Lake Meyer might be worth trying while you're in Calmar. Of course, it might not be worth trying too...

Now THAT was a funny post grin