• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How close is to close?

stumper

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to keep my distance when possible it is tough sometimes on the smaller lakes with limited structure.

The people that drive their trucks and sleds right by you tick me off, we had a guy drive his truck between my wife's sled and our portable last year...there was probably 30 feet between the 2 and NOTHING on the other side of the sled until shore a 1/4 mile away. I couldn't believe it, I almost flipped the portable open because I thought he was going to hit us.

I have had sleds drive within feet of tip ups....I know those blaze orange round frabills are hard to see. LOL

Where I fish normally I don't have anyone around me and as far as they know I never catch a fish

And when I am on other lakes where there is people I normally strike up a conversation with them and many times they tell me to go get my stuff and they have even popped a hole for me while I was moving over.

But if they don't want company I will fish on the other side if the lake, makes no difference to me.

What I don't like is when I am not around, and it has snowed, and they drill closed to the permanent to be out of the wind and the hole floods and freezes down the permanent

Those people I would care to have a discussion with

One time on a south metro lake I hade two guys using my perm for a wind break. They were leaning up up against it and drilled holes two feet away from it. I wasn't there when it happened but the holes, cig butts, and urine stains made it obvious what happened.

If it is a community spot, gauge how close others are to each other and call it good. If someone is out by themself though and you have never fished that spot before don't crowd them!

I hate it when I'm fishing all by myself and guys come honing right in on me and set up 30 yds away. I know lakes are public but come on!

All it comes down to is common sense and respect. If a guy is all by himself don't crowd him, he's by himself for a reason. He doesn't want a crowd!

Its obvious I havent fished the same lakes as you guys-you have some decency! As much as I try to avoid the crowds,I always end up getting someone too close to me,and most of the time they wont say a word,they just set up like youre not there. I always lve it when I flip open the shelter and set fish out and glance over to see nothing but empty beer cans

One time on a south metro lake I hade two guys using my perm for a wind break. They were leaning up up against it and drilled holes two feet away from it. I wasn't there when it happened but the holes, cig butts, and urine stains made it obvious what happened.

I've done this too when no one is in the perm (minus the cigs and pee.) I don't see any harm in this. If the perm owner had come out, I would have moved to give him/her space.

ya but when you drill your holes that close to a perm house and there is tons of snow around you could flood that guys perm house not a good deal.i wouldnt ever be that darn close a perm shack.thats just not right.

So if a guy with a perm sets up over a small hole, you're saying it becomes "his" exclusive hole? Sorry, I don't agree with that at all. Besides, there are several things someone with a perm can do to prevent their house from getting frozen down, like putting the runners up on blocks so the water runs underneath it. I'm certainly not going to purposefully harm a guy's perm, but if they don't take the proper precautions, that's their own fault.

lol i didnt say it was any 1s hole.im just saying it could flood his perm.and yes ppl should block up there perm,i know i do on low.but there is still that chance of some 1 getting to close and it could flood

I generaly don't set-up closer than 50 ft. to someone.

Last year my son and I stayed overnight in the perm, (I had parked my wheeler on the back side of the shack) and woke

up to an auger at 6:30 A.M. wich is fine but when my son who

I've seen that more so on Minnetonka. Be about your biz and some guys looking in your window with running auger in tow. At times numerous holes around the shack.

It's similar to open water fishing. If a person sees me catching a fish and instantly has to hover around me they are a parasite in my eyes. If someone's gotta huddle in around you on the ice thinking since you're there the fish have to be, or whatever else there game plan is, they're parasites as well! Don't get me wrong, I realize some spots hold dynamite structure and one can't avoid bumping into someone. There are several other similar examples but that's when common courtesy should be applied!

If I can read the name on their fish house, then either I or they are too close. I typically fish on the edge of a crowd if I dont just avoid it all together. From my experience if you are not around the first couple days in a crowd, then you missed the prime bite on that spot and I just move around and find my own fish, and then prepare to do it the next day when all the permies come around. No big deal, it kinda makes it fun to adventure every day.

This same question was posted about three years ago, I will say what I said then. The question of "How close is too close?" is one that is tough to give one good answer to. For me it would depend on what type of etiquette the fishermen used. We are all out there to have a good time and catch fish. The lake is available to everyone. I personally wouldn't be offended by some one who is genuinely out there to fish with a respect for the resource setting up relatively close to me.

In addition to that, if it were kids or a family (mom and/or dad with kids) that were out there to fish I definitely wouldn't mind if they were relatively close to me. I have a bit of a soft spot for parents who put in the effort and demonstrate the paitence to take their kids fishing and the kids that perservere out on the ice. I definitely want to see the kids catch fish to the point I would be willing to share holes with them.

With that said, I try to stay a fair distance away from anyone that is already set up. A fair distance is relative to the size of the lake and/or structure that the "spot" is on. I also make my best effort to be respectful when I am around other people. I don't listen to music when I fish, so that isn't an issue. I don't fire up an auger and puch holes to the point of making the ice resemble a piece of swiss cheese if it is close to the time of the bite.

I think being respectful on the ice can be as simple as practicing a little common sense / common courtsey.

Black dog. If there is only a 6x8 hole on the lake and a perm is on it you should go somewhere else. I only say this because the spot is not that small. I had a house placed 10 yards away from me. That is fine. They came over once whipped open the door and saw a couple of fish in a bucket. I drive 2.5 hrs to get there and only fish weekends. The neighbors turned the ice around my house in to swiss cheese while I was gone. My point is that the spot is not that small and if you drill holes that close (especially right in front of the trailer tongue you cause big time removal problems for the owner. The snow drifts in and the little ice mounds make it tough to get traction. I repeat the spot is not that small. If I am not there I could care less. Just please understand rather than getting closer ask for a little help.

Sorry, I disagree, and don't plan to change. There's no reason the guy with the perm should get the break. I was fishing that hole a month before the guy with the perm ever came out. The perm in question is 10' x 16', and yes the hole is bigger than that, but it's not a big hole.

A few guys who put perms on the ice seem to be like guys who put permanent tree stands on public land. All of a sudden they think it's "their" spot.

EDIT: I should add I liked the guy with the big perm. We got to chatting on several occasions and enjoyed our conversations.

I myself try to stay at least 1000 yds away from other fisherman. unless ofcourse they are catching fish. then I set up within inches. lol. All kiding aside walleye fishing 100-150 feet is acceptable. crappies 50-60 ft on comiunity spots and much farther on lesser known spots. ( thats just my two cents worth even if it aint worth two cents)

I think you should respect others fishing space is a nice thing to do unless it is a set spot of yours or it is close quarters to begin with. Nothing worse then open ice all around you and someone drilling 20ft away from you though...

Originally Posted By: ec30_06

I've done this too when no one is in the perm (minus the cigs and pee.) I don't see any harm in this. If the perm owner had come out, I would have moved to give him/her space.

I don't agree with anyone setting up camp around my perm when I'm there or not. Here's why. My boss was on LOW with his 8x20 permanent and had been on the same sweet spot for a week or so. As you can imagine, he was drifted into a "bowl". Some guy drives right up to his house and starts punchin' holes. What happens next...totally flooded the ice inside the "bowl". mad Now, it's just a good thing he was there that day or he would have had a real tough time getting his skid house out of 3 inches of solid ice!! See my point. But, fishing right next to someone just because you think they have all the fish in the lake is just foolish anyway. Reefs and structure play a part in what distances apply, but 10ft is totally too close,IMO. crazy Now I'm REALLY cautious...I bought that house! cool100_0013-1.jpg

I keep it simple...I ask if it is OK to fish near. If I'm close enough to talk, asking is only polite and reasonable. If they say no...OK then...they may not be too good of company anyway.

I absolutely hate it when I get fallowed around, like some stray dog looking for scraps. Any guys that make a practice of doing this to other anglers or guides that are actively guiding clients are really trespassing on that clients trip and being very rude and disrespectful. On some lakes with active guides this is comical at times..they move...the buzzards fallow.

I have had guys actually fallow and use the holes I just drilled...before I could get my own line wet...guys I had no clue who they were...Like COME ON!! What's up with that?

confused

Like all things, common cents and respect go a long ways in this world.

I keep it simple...I ask if it is OK to fish near. If I'm close enough to talk, asking is only polite and reasonable. If they say no...OK then...they may not be too good of company anyway.

I like this approach. IMO Some of the smaller lakes don't have much good structure. Does it really make sense, or is it fair to expect no one to fish in an area staked out by a permanent(s) that is only occupied say on the weekend. If that person is that concerned about issues then they should tow it off the lake when not in use for more than a day+.

Key is to be considerate of others especially during peak hours.

I typically don't fish directly in the crowds, but there are times when my key spots draw lots of traffic by permanents.

I like this approach. IMO Some of the smaller lakes don't have much good structure. Does it really make sense, or is it fair to expect no one to fish in an area staked out by a permanent(s) that is only occupied say on the weekend. If that person is that concerned about issues then they should tow it off the lake when not in use for more than a day+.

Key is to be considerate of others especially during peak hours.

I typically don't fish directly in the crowds, but there are times when my key spots draw lots of traffic by permanents.

I don't leave my house on the lake unless I am using it, unless of course we are just running to shore. I think it's very obvious that my house is "in use" as we will typically take the atv's to shore and leave the truck or have coolers and a garbage outside the house. We will also leave the generator running as it is secured to the house.

In my opinion it would not be right to snuggle up close to a house that is obviously in use, but to your point I also agree that people that leave there house on the lake all season and only use it sparingly should expect people to some what encroach on their area.

Regardless I don't think it's too much to ask for a 20ft perimeter around my house under most circumstances. At no time should holes be drilled within 10 ft around someones permanent house.

Also if you choose to move in on the spot that I am setup on DO NOT complain about my generator, not that it's loud anyways as it is a Honda . I set and secure it just off of the v-front so if it doesn't bother me in my house it shouldn't bother you at your camp.

These are just my opinions, I hope most other would agree as I don't feel out of line with my requests.